Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 234567 LastLast

Thread: Joe Walsh Memoir

Stuck on the Border

Default Re: Joe Walsh Memoir

For what it's worth both Eliot & Felder attribute 'kick your ass' to Glenn & Felder also mentions BOML.

Moderator Ive always been a dreamer's Avatar
    Cruising down the center of a two-way street in VA

I'm betting Joe's memoirs will be a fantastic read. Can't wait to hear his take on some of these events. I'm also crossing my fingers that he will give us some new stuff that we haven't heard about before, but, TBH, I'm a little skeptical.

As far as memory loss, my experience is everyone has some of it at varying levels and the aging process may not be your friend here. Heavy substance abuse may also lead to memory impairment, but it also may not. Of course, there are also other physical and hereditary factors that play a big role in dementia. It varies with each individual, so I don't believe we should draw any blanket conclusions about this topic.

So, as far as different accounts of events from the individual band members, I am not surprised that we get some variations. As we often say, everyone has their own version of the truth. But, I would hope that the band members set a high standard for fact-checking when there is evidence to support a certain version of events if they are going to publish a book. If not, hopefully, we'll all be around to set them straight.

"People don't run out of dreams: People just run out of time ..."
    Glenn Frey 11/06/1948 - 01/18/2016

Stuck on the Border

Quote Originally Posted by Freypower View Post
    For what it's worth both Eliot & Felder attribute 'kick your ass' to Glenn & Felder also mentions BOML.
    Against that, the bootleg recording of the night doesn't include BOML and the documentary team had access to Bill Symszyck's tapes. Even though three sources - Glenn's interview, Eliot's book and Felder's book tell the same story, I think it's very likely that Glenn was telling a good story ("Best of My Love" makes a better backdrop for the fight than "Life in the Fast Lane") and the other two carried it forward without checking the accuracy.

Banned

I've heard BOML used as an amusing embellishment of the general discord anecdote.

They say that the pen is mightier than the sword. These days, I suppose the DVD, audio/visual clip, is mightier than the pen. I've just checked the HOTEvid and Glenn says "I'm goin' "three more songs asshole" " while recounting the episode. Szymczyk's tape doesn't capture that part of the "conversation".

When he was promoting Analog Man, a couple of years ago, Joe told loads of stories, going back as far as his childhood, without appearing to provide prepared answers. He's a lyricist and a story teller, his brain is attuned to translating his experiences into words. Drug addiction will impair his faculties but they were highly developed and in constant use, even when he was intoxicated.

Joe's memoir looks a winner, even before it's written. I think there could be a second book, a kinda anti-autobiography, compiled from Walsh anecdotes of people who have run into him, especially if his memory skips a few volumes worth of material.

Stuck on the Border NightMistBlue's Avatar

Default Re: Joe in the Press/Blogs/etc.

Quote Originally Posted by Funk 50 View Post
    Until Life's Been Good inadvertently turned him into a court Jester, he was viewed as every bit as serious as the other Eagles.
    I didn't know that. Interesting.

Border Desperado

In HOTE tape at Long Beach, the majority of the conversation is Glenn talking, including "3 more songs, buddy and I'm gonna kick your ass." The only thing you hear Felder saying is something like ""you don't care except for the people you pay, nobody gives a shit." Then Glenn goes way over the line with, "I'm gonna kill you."

As far as who did more drugs , who was more impaired, you forgot the most..I don't know that any of us can be the judge of that. Joe's addiction has definitely been the most open and obvious, as has his recovery. Some sources say that Don and Glenn had serious addictions and that was a big part of their feud with one another. Glenn has two nasal repairs resulting from cocaine use. Randy ended up with alcohol dependency. Felder has stated that he wasn't ever addicted to cocaine, but did more than his share. I guess Bernie made out without drug dependent issues.

Joe's book should be a treat. He said in an interview he's not out to hurt anyone. I can't wait to read it. If you read Felder's book with an objective eye, it's not a tell-all, and I'm sure he'd have plenty to tell. It's really a story about his life from childhood on and his perspective on the joys and the devastations of being an Eagle. Bernie and Randy had similar experiences, but they walked away instead of being fired. Even Bill Symcyck said, "Yeah, everything in that book happened, he didn't make any of that up." Bill had nothing to gain or lose from making that statement and he was probably a more objective observer than anyone else.

All I know for sure is that they had to have had some good times when they loved each other, and life on the road ain't easy. When you mix cocaine/ booze in with all of that, things and people get ugly and behave badly. I just wish they could all chalk up their mistakes and problems to youth and pressure and drugs and shake hands and just be grateful for all the good things they did.

Border Desperado

Oh yeah, also, look up one of Joe's later sober visits on the Howard Stern radio show. Stern bring up Steve calling Joe the love of her life, and Joe doesn't see it that way at all. They were both heavy in drug use during that time they were together. Steve also had to have nasal reconstruction. Anyway, you can hear Joe speak about it on YouTube.

Stuck on the Border

Question Re: Joe Walsh Memoir

Quote Originally Posted by Eagles7 View Post
    Even Bill Symcyck said, "Yeah, everything in that book happened, he didn't make any of that up." Bill had nothing to gain or lose from making that statement and he was probably a more objective observer than anyone else.
    Except that's not what Bill S said. You can find the exact quote somewhere on this board but I think he said that Felder didn't exaggerate too much.
    For me, the problem is not in Felder's descriptions of what happened but when he attributes feelings and motivations to other people.

Anyway, Joe seems to be more philisophical about life and willing to make allowances for the other people's foibles.

ETA: Szymzcyk's quote about the book: "was pretty true, concerning the stories and the animosities – he did not exaggerate all that much."
    http://www.classicrockrevisited.com/...iew.php?id=916
    Last edited by UndertheWire; 09-03-2016 at 05:47 AM.

Moderator Ive always been a dreamer's Avatar
    Cruising down the center of a two-way street in VA

Quote Originally Posted by UndertheWire View Post
    Except that's not what Bill S said. You can find the exact quote somewhere on this board but I think he said that Felder didn't exaggerate too much.
    For me, the problem is not in Felder's descriptions of what happened but when he attributes feelings and motivations to other people.

Anyway, Joe seems to be more philisophical about life and willing to make allowances for the other people's foibles.

ETA: Szymzcyk's quote about the book: "was pretty true, concerning the stories and the animosities – he did not exaggerate all that much."
    I agree UTW - My guess is that Joe's 'zen' will dominate his memoir.

"People don't run out of dreams: People just run out of time ..."
    Glenn Frey 11/06/1948 - 01/18/2016

Quote Originally Posted by UndertheWire View Post

Mr. Ordinary Average Guy has always appeared to be down-to-earth on fame and everything else. But in any memoir or biography it's important to remember that there is no "truth." There are only people's recollections of what happened. So there's bound to be areas where the so-called facts or events appear at odds with one another.

It's like when two people attend the same concert but have very different interpretations of what transpired.

That said, comparing the two memoirs--Walsh's and Felder's--will be interesting.