Thread: Going Forth For The Fourth Of July?

Banned

Cool Going Forth For The Fourth Of July?

What are you going to do to celebrate the country's birthday? I try to see some fireworks (internal as well as external) every year, even when I vehemently disagree with the policies and actions of the United States. I just enjoy loud and colorful bursts of light.

I'll be in Las Vegas, New Mexico, hanging out at the Classic Palace Hotel on the old plaza, waiting till it gets nice and dark. Las Vegas was once the largest town in NM and was filled with scoundrels, rustlers, outlaws, shootists, and shady women… in other words, my kind of place.

If you're in the neighborhood, drop by and I'll let you buy me a round!
    Last edited by peneumbra; 07-02-2018 at 12:51 AM.

Default Re: Going Forth For The Fourth Of July?

Happy 4th of July in advance! I'm not even an American though, so no celebrations for me.
    The chemistry... nuff said

Quote Originally Posted by peneumbra View Post
    What are you going to do to celebrate the country's birthday? I try to see some fireworks (internal as well as external) every year, even when I vehemently disagree with the policies and actions of the United States. I just enjoy loud and colorful bursts of light.

I'll be in Las Vegas, New Mexico, hanging out at the Classic Palace Hotel on the old plaza, waiting till it gets nice and dark. Las Vegas was once the largest town in NM and was filled with scoundrels, rustlers, outlaws, shootists, and shady women… in other words, my kind of place.

If you're in the neighborhood, drop buy and I'll let you buy me a round!
    Ah, Las Vegas, NM... right on Route 66 and my bucket list to visit! Have fun.

No big plans here, since the Fourth sits right in the middle of the week and I have work before and after.

Hey, P, have big fun!

I'll be here with friends. Good people, good food.

It's all in your smile that brings
    All of the special things about you

Down some endless road just south of nowhere (Missouri)

Yes, I hate it when major holidays are in the middle of the week! No days off before or after, so must stay local!

Brother in law has a big family picnic/pool party and then everyone brings fireworks for later. Always a good time!
    https://i.imgur.com/CuSdAQM.jpg
    "They will never forget you 'till somebody new comes along"
    1948-2016 Gone but not forgotten

Banned

Cool Re: Going Forth For The Fourth Of July?

So, your sister is marrying your brother-in-law, which - IF it actually happens - would also make her your second cousin, right?

No. She'd be your step-uncle.

Well, anyway, the best place in the U.S. to see fireworks on July 4 is on the East Coast. Every little town has a fireworks display, and there are a LOT of towns in New Jersey, Delaware, etc.

Maybe the best July 4th fireworks I ever saw was at an outdoor Southside Johnny date at Englishtown Raceway in New Jersey. The band stopped their set for like an hour so that everybody could enjoy the aerial explosions. There were fireworks going off in every direction; all you had to do was stand there and slowly spin around. Springsteen is right: Jersey is one crazy-wild place.

(P.S.) Pointless Trivia Dept: The Star-Spangled Banner is the only national anthem in the world that consists entirely of questions...

No longer in Southern California.We're now in Northen New York, the St. Lawrence Valley. :)

A little late for the party ( this thread).
    My Kevin & I were married on July 4th, 1985, so that's what we do every year, celebrate our anniversary. He had to work this year, and it was wicked hot. Our town- Burlington, Vermont-has their fireworks over the waters of Lake Champlain on the 3rd. It was just too hot & humid to go down to the waterfront and watch. But we did see them for a few minutes from the middle of our street.
    really miss watching them in my hometown of Riverside, California. We are trying to get back there, but have to wait for a job offer , I'm a theater mananger/costumer..and after our daughter's wedding , which is August 25th.
    "ANY KIND OF LOVE WITHOUT PASSION, AIN'T NO KIND OF LOVE AT ALL"
    Last edited by MarthaJo56; 07-11-2018 at 09:11 AM.

I hope everyone enjoyed their Independence Day celebrations!

Quote Originally Posted by MarthaJo56 View Post
    My Kevin & I were married on July 4th, 1985, so that's what we do every year, celebrate our anniversary. He had to work this year, and it was wicked hot. Our town- Burlington, Vermont-has their fireworks over the water s of Lake Champlain on the 3rd. It was just too hot & humid to go down to the waterfront and watch. But we did see them for a few minutes form the middle of our street.
    really miss watching them in my hometown of Riverside, California. We are trying to get back there, but have to wait for a job offer , I'm a theater mananger/costumer..and after our daughter's wedding , which is August 25th.
    "ANY KIND OF LOVE WITH =OUT PASSION, AIN'T NO KIND OF LOVE AT ALL"
    Hi Martha Jo and a belated Happy Anniversary to you and your hubby! And congrats to your daughter in her upcoming nuptials. That is one of my all-time favorite Eagles lyrics.

We watched fireworks over the lake and really enjoyed it. It almost didn’t happen b/c it rained off and on throughout the day. It would have been a shame if it was called off as we missed it last year due to being in the middle of moving.

Right or wrong, what’s done is done
    It’s only moments that you borrow...

Quote Originally Posted by MarthaJo56 View Post
    My Kevin & I were married on July 4th, 1985, so that's what we do every year, celebrate our anniversary. He had to work this year, and it was wicked hot. Our town- Burlington, Vermont-has their fireworks over the water s of Lake Champlain on the 3rd. It was just too hot & humid to go down to the waterfront and watch. But we did see them for a few minutes form the middle of our street.
    "ANY KIND OF LOVE WITH =OUT PASSION, AIN'T NO KIND OF LOVE AT ALL"

Yes, a happy belated anniversary from me as well! Sounds like you made the best of your 4th. Good luck with the job offer, and as Delilah said, congrats to your daughter.

Delilah - glad to hear you had a fun 4th, too. Mine was uneventful, I'm afraid!

Always in our hearts, Never forgotten

No longer in Southern California.We're now in Northen New York, the St. Lawrence Valley. :)

Great stories, Carolyn. The quote is a line from "After the Thrill is Gone". Glenn said in the liner notes that that line is "pure Henley".