Page 1 of 16 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread: Remembering 9/11

Default Remembering 9/11

Before the day is out, I'd like to post a little remembrance of that day that changed so many lives. I'm sending out a prayer for those who lost someone that day.

Always in our hearts, Never forgotten

I had been retrospective and melancholy all day today, remembering that awful morning six years ago.

That day has become one of the touchstones of our generation--people will always remember where they were and what they were doing when those planes hit the Towers. Our daughters had just gone off to school and I was home getting ready to go to a part-time class that morning. I was watching the TODAY show, as I did every morning, when the first footage was aired. Confused, shaken, and scared, I went on to class, only to have it dismissed an hour later when the attacks continued.

My thoughts & prayers continue to go out to the families who lost loved ones in those attacks. None of our lives will ever be quite the same again.

I've been feeling pretty sad today. My hearts and prayers still go out to the families who lost loved ones.

I was getting ready to go to my college classes and my part-time job on campus which was in the student services building. My mom was the one who told me what happened and then I turned on the tv to see what happened. One of the classes I had that day was an intro to mass communications. Our professor let us watch the news and listen to the radio to follow the coverage and then we discussed it. The student services building was so jam packed with people that day who were watching the tv coverage and listening to the radios in the different offices.
    How can love survive in such a graceless age?

I was teaching at Kingwood College at the time. My class didn't start until 11:00 am, so I had time to play on the computer before leaving for work. I opened up AOL around 9:15 am (central time) and saw the photo of the burning towers on their news page with the heading "Planes Crash into World Trade Center," but I thought it was simply a tragic accident and went on checking my e-mail without reading the story. Then, when I got in the car to go to work an hour later, I turned on the radio and there was no music... only news about the attacks. The first thing I heard was "There is no way this was an accident." I finally realized what had happened and my heart was in my throat. When I got to campus, a female security officer was in the parking lot telling us all to turn around and go back home, that school was closed for the day. And this was in Houston!

You're right, we'll never forget.

Always in our hearts, Never forgotten

I still remember listening to the local sports station in my journalism class that morning. I used to listen to the station quite a bit and they're known for joking around and stuff and I was so proud of them that day for their coverage. I had even emailed the PD telling him that we listened in my class and that I was proud of the way they covered the story.
    How can love survive in such a graceless age?

My thoughts also go out to the families of the victims of those horrendous attacks. It affected me for a long time after the day of the tragedy - it brought home the fact that life is short, and that anything can happen at any time. We need to cherish our loved ones while we have each other, and savour every moment.

I was coming home from work when an acquaintance who I met up with when we disembarked from the train told me the devastating news (Cape Town is about 6 hours ahead of New York City). When I arrived home, my parents were watching events unfold on CNN News, which went on until late. I couldn't really function that evening - I just watched television continuously, trying to make sense of it all. It was just unreal. I couldn't really comprehend.

I've got a peaceful, easy feeling
    And I know Glenn won't let me down

Default 9/11

My heart also goes out to all those affected by 9/11, the families and friends and the world.

My son's father was on the highway near the towers and actually saw the plane hit. He immediately called me so I was glued to the TV very early on. This made the 3rd disaster he witnessed 1st hand. He was there in New Orleans, delivering supplies (he's a truck driver) and spent almost 2 weeks in the midst of the devastation waiting for fuel, watching the horrors unfold around him. My daughter was in the hospital just a couple of blocks from the Murrah building when Timothy McVeigh blew it up and we were there at the site about 12 hours afterwards, along with so many others coming to try to understand what had happened and help in any way. I can't even begin to tell you how horrible it was. I will never forget the sight of all the debris and bodies and the sense of unreality and horror and shock we were all feeling after being attacked from within, in the heartland of America. But the grief from the bombing pales in comparison to what happened at the twin towers. So many lives were lost and others changed forever. As devastating as that was, over and above the horror felt by all is the sense of our vulnerability as a nation. Our country has been shaken to its very foundation. We have been changed forever. Our own mortality as a country and a people has been attacked as surely as the towers were, but our spirit still lives. I marvel at the tenacity and resilience of our hearts. May we never forget what happened and choing Mrs Frey, cherish your loved ones, and savor every moment we are given.
    I possess the silver bullets to slay the demons from my past. How do I know? Because I survived them-and I am already stronger than I believe.

That was beautifully written, rcknalwys, and I agree completely.

Down some endless road just south of nowhere (Missouri)

My heart and prayers go out to everyone affected by this horrible tragedy too.

I have the Today show on at home every morning while getting ready for work and it hadn't happened yet when I left home at about 7:50. When my boss came in to work a few minutes after 8 he said "turn on the tv, something terrible has happened in NYC." So we did and watched it all unfold. Horrible.
    https://i.imgur.com/CuSdAQM.jpg
    "They will never forget you 'till somebody new comes along"
    1948-2016 Gone but not forgotten

... On a journey from innocence to experience..... In Ireland!

It was lunchtime in Dublin when it happened. My daughter was only a few months old and we were having some lunch in a place which functions as a training centre for people with disabilities. It trains them in a catering job and then prepares them to integrate successfully into the general workforce. Anyway the manager came out to us and told us that a plane had crashed into the twin towers. At the time we assumed it was an accident, but then when the second plane hit, and we heard the news from the pentagon we realised that this was no accident. We spent the rest of the day, like many other people following events on the TV and trying to come to terms with the tragedy.
    A few years later I saw a programme where a fire fighter with a daughter the same age as ours (3 and a half months when it happened) was killed that day, and it really brought it home to me how unfair it was that she had to grow up without her daddy. Life is fragile and precious and we should do all we can to protect and preserve it.

As with the rest of you my thoughts and prayers are with the families of those who lost their lives, or who otherwise had their lives ruined on that fateful day.

Interestingly, yesterday morning my daughter asked me to put on 'Hole in the World'. How appropriate!
    'I must be leaving soon... its your world now'
    Glenn Frey 1948-2016 RIP