Page 7 of 12 FirstFirst ... 34567891011 ... LastLast

Thread: Did they ask Bernie and Randy to be part of the reunion in 1994?

Default Re: Did they ask Bernie and Randy to be part of the reunion in 1994?

Thanks for that counterpoint, GS. Randy makes a good point about how the media is always trying to get the dirt - and of course, that's what they focus on if they even see a hint of it.

I really wish Randy would do more interviews nowadays. At least we have the doc.

Always in our hearts, Never forgotten

Stuck on the Border VAisForEagleLovers's Avatar

Thanks for posting, GS!

John - I remember a few years ago watching a live Don Henley special on A&E and he mentioned something interesting that he just couldn't believe how long it took to get from the beginning to the end of an album. There were so many different components to making an album.

Randy - Especially for Henley, he is such a stickler. You just have to listen to his music. (laughing)
    Really? It takes Don a long time to get an album out? I hadn't noticed.
    VK

You can't change the world but you can change yourself.

Stuck on the Border MaryCalifornia's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Springbo View Post
    I agree. I don't think it's about money and publishing credits and who knows what else? .
    I think we are all empathetic to Randy's feelings of rejection. Nobody doubts this or fails to understand. He made multiple overtures, which were consistently rejected from the time he left the band until HOTE, from what we know. However, in the article, he does bring up the money issue - more than once. Meisner notes "And I'm thinking, gee whiz, I wish they'd reunited with the guys who were actually in the group. And then they rerecorded all the old songs on that new CD, just to make sure that Bernie and I wouldn't get a penny of royalties from them." and, "But when Meisner is asked how much he could have made if he, too, had been invited to the party, he suddenly sounds wistful. "Millions," he mutters. "Millions."

This is what I was interested in - understanding HOW was he out "millions?", because we've heard this before. The only way I can see he would have made millions and millions if he were back in the band, as a full time member. He wouldn't have made that kind of money as a special guest, and they certainly wouldn't have given him any rights to anything they created for HFO. But, I'm not doubting that he sees financial loss for himself - I believe him, I'm just trying to understand how it worked.

Not sure what he meant by he wishes they had reunited with the guys who were actually in the group. I think they did. They took 2 big risks in an effort to keep the lineup the same as 1980 - Joe (sobriety) and Felder (hated him but needed him for insurance.) Don and Glenn seem to have been very protective of Timothy and his role, in many ways. I don't see them asking him to share the stage with Randy on HFO. Agree with VA that they probably never even considered it. I am glad that they did consider it for HOTE as it is totally appropriate and I wish Randy were able to join in.

Banned

I believe Randy & Bernie could have made millions in 1994. Merchandizing, record sales, new opportunities. This wasn't going to happen though.
    I am glad Randy took the high road, all the boy's have grown a lot. Time heals.

Stuck on the Border VAisForEagleLovers's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by moonlight74 View Post
    I believe Randy & Bernie could have made millions in 1994. Merchandizing, record sales, new opportunities. This wasn't going to happen though.
    I am glad Randy took the high road, all the boy's have grown a lot. Time heals.
    From the way it read, the question was how much he'd have made if he'd been on the tour (not about the songs) and that would have been from the touring itself, including the merchandising and the record sales. The Eagles made a lot of money from HFO, no doubt about it. They've also been fairly vocal in the past about how in this day of copying of music and free listens on YouTube, and the low return on electronic formats, touring is the only way for a band to actually make money. Which implies to me that it's a true money-maker.

ETA: Since the guys usually have their own promotion company, that means they get money off concessions as well.
    VK

You can't change the world but you can change yourself.

Stuck on the Border

In the SmoothJazz interview, Randy says he didn't make a penny on the Poco reunion tour and "paying all this money for merchandise rather than making money on it." Of course, the Eagles were a much safer bet but there was still the risk that it wouldn't work.
    Last edited by UndertheWire; 12-17-2013 at 04:30 PM.

Moderator Ive always been a dreamer's Avatar
    Cruising down the center of a two-way street in VA

Quote Originally Posted by Ive always been a dreamer View Post
    This is an interesting discussion. Regarding copyright, publishing, royalties, etc., I agree it can get really confusing. And it only adds to the confusion because contracts can differ a great deal from one artist to another. Thanks for posting that link, UTW. I remember a similar discussion about this a while back and I did a little research. One of the things I discovered about U.S. Copyright law is that apparently only the writers of a song's melody and lyrics are legally entitled to receive songwriting credit. To me, the writer of a song's music should also be entitled to royalties as well. At least, the members of the Eagles apparently agreed because they did credit the writer of the music.
    Quote Originally Posted by randymeisnerrocks View Post
    I'm not completely sure that's right. Queen sued Vanilla Ice over the fact he sampled their song "Under Pressure" and that's was just 8 notes.
    When you talk about copyright, publishing, and royalties, there is a often times a difference in what the legal requirements are as opposed to what is standard procedure and common practice among artist, recording, and publishing companies. That was the point of my post about why this is all so confusing. Then, as someone else mentioned, the fact that laws differ in various countries only adds more confusion. However, the bottom line is that the artists decide who gets the songwriting credit for a song. Once someone is given credit, then they are subject to and protected by the intellectual property laws.

"People don't run out of dreams: People just run out of time ..."
    Glenn Frey 11/06/1948 - 01/18/2016

Border Desperado The Thrill Is Never Gone's Avatar

Since I will never get to see Randy play with the Eagles again, I can at least feel solace that when I hear most of their hit songs on the radio, Randy played on them. I get to hear his back up singing and his bass playing almost daily. He is very talented.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by The Thrill Is Never Gone View Post
    Since I will never get to see Randy play with the Eagles again, I can at least feel solace that when I hear most of their hit songs on the radio, Randy played on them. I get to hear his back up singing and his bass playing almost daily. He is very talented.

I so agree. Anyone that can compose & play rhythm & blues, waltz ballads and basic rock & roll while staying consistently in tune & on key has TALENT!

Border Desperado The Thrill Is Never Gone's Avatar

I think all the Randy fans feel denied.