Page 285 of 301 FirstFirst ... 185235275281282283284285286287288289295 ... LastLast
Results 2,841 to 2,850 of 3010

Thread: Eagles Mentions in the Press (2006 - 2017)

Banned

Default Re: Eagles Mentions in the Press

Here's part of a Chaz & AJ, radio interview with Jimmy Koplik, who's introduced as Chairman Of Live Nation North East Region.

I was drawn to this by the amusing Joe Walsh story, that probably wont make Joe's autobiography but Jimmy also talks about Eagles upcoming concerts and, answering listeners questions, addresses, Felder, Farewell Tours and delivers an insight as to why bands don't retire. In a word, Adrenalin.

https://audioboom.com/posts/5735824-...wl-concert?t=0

I bet to this day, Joe has a strong aversion to ice.

It's not clear to me that Mr. Koplik has any real firsthand knowledge about this summer's concerts. It sounds like he's just parroting what's he's read in Billboard and elsewhere like the rest of us.

Right or wrong, what’s done is done
    It’s only moments that you borrow...

Agreed, Delilah. It's quite pathetic how many sites seize upon something reported elsewhere and recycle it every few days to pretend that it's something new.

Always in our hearts, Never forgotten

Banned

Not knowing exactly when the interview took place, Mr. Koplik could be the source of the story. As Chairman of Live Nation (NE Region), I'd expect him to have some interest and knowledge of what his company is up to.

I prefer stories about the Eagles to be heavily recycled rather than ignored or dismissed as un-newsworthy.

Stuck on the Border

My take was that Mr Koplik has been reading the same news items as us but that he has some personal knowledge of the people concerned (from when they played in venues within his remit) which makes his interpretation more interesting than typical recycled news.

Stuck on the Border

Some real news, with a statement from Henley.
    "Their Greatest Hits 1971-1975" has been included in the Library of Congress’ National Recording Registry:
    http://www.latimes.com/entertainment...329-story.html
    “Popular music is one of this country’s finest exports,” Eagles founding member Don Henley told The Times on Wednesday via email.
    “We excel at it. Popular music and radio programming created and recorded in the USA have been a global force that crosses geographical, cultural and political boundaries.”

“Some anthropologists,” Henley said, “say that humankind has about 1,000 more years of existence on this planet. So, one might logically ask, ‘What’s the point of archiving these recordings?’ We do it for the same reason ancient cave dwellers made drawings on the walls of their caves – to say, ‘We were here and this is what our life was like.’”

“Each of the other selected songs you mentioned,” Henley wrote, “has a special resonance in my life: Judy Garland’s ‘Over the Rainbow,’ one of the greatest ballads ever written, is part of the childhood of every Baby Boomer (and pre-Boomer, back to 1939). ‘Hound Dog’ (Elvis Presley’s version) was the first rock & roll record I ever owned. ‘I’ll Fly Away’ (Dillards’ version on ‘Wheatstraw Suite’ LP) has always been a favorite and was sung at my mother’s funeral. ‘Amazing Grace’ was one of my grandmother’s most beloved hymns.”

Referring to his Eagles bandmate Glenn Frey, who died last year, Henley added, “Glenn, being the avid sports fan that he was, would have been so pleased to know that our album went into the archives alongside Vin Scully’s historic 1957 broadcast of the Brooklyn Dodgers-New York Giants game at the Polo Grounds, the last Dodgers-Giants game ever played there.”
    This is what Billboard had to say:
    Their Greatest Hits (1971–1975), Eagles (1976)
    It's unusual for a group to be best known for a greatest-hits compilation, especially for the Eagles who, at the time, were thought of as an album band, not a singles band. It's even more surprising because the members of the group had no say in the decision to release such an album and didn't want one released. Against a backdrop of lawsuits, their record company decided to put out a greatest-hits package while the Eagles worked on their next studio album. The supposed potboiler, Their Greatest Hits (1971–1975), was intended merely to generate income and buy the Eagles some time while they worked on what would become Hotel California. Instead, the overwhelming response thrilled the record company — less so some members of the band. Don Henley complained that cobbling together a hits package diminished the artistic integrity of a concept album like Desperado,"from which two songs were taken. Nevertheless, fans loved the greatest hits, and it undeniably elevated the stature of the Eagles, making them one of the most successful and best-loved groups of their era.
    (It doesn't even get a mention in the Billboard introduction, let alone the headline).
    http://www.billboard.com/articles/ne...rding-registry
    Last edited by UndertheWire; 03-29-2017 at 08:45 AM.

Stuck on the Border buffyfan145's Avatar

That's awesome it's going into the Library of Congress!!! That and their 2nd Greatest Hits (and the radio) was how I and a lot of us in the younger generations grew up with their music.
    ~*Amanda*~
    "So often times it happens that we live our lives in chains and we never even know we have the key."

Very cool! I love that it's this particular album that is considered "culturally, historically and aesthetically significant" enough to be preserved by the Library of Congress.

Right or wrong, what’s done is done
    It’s only moments that you borrow...

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by UndertheWire View Post
    Some real news, with a statement from Henley.

"Their Greatest Hits 1971-1975" has been included in the Library of Congress’ National Recording Registry:
    http://www.latimes.com/entertainment...329-story.html

“Popular music is one of this country’s finest exports,” Eagles founding member Don Henley told The Times on Wednesday via email.
    “We excel at it. Popular music and radio programming created and recorded in the USA have been a global force that crosses geographical, cultural and political boundaries.”

“Some anthropologists,” Henley said, “say that humankind has about 1,000 more years of existence on this planet. So, one might logically ask, ‘What’s the point of archiving these recordings?’ We do it for the same reason ancient cave dwellers made drawings on the walls of their caves – to say, ‘We were here and this is what our life was like.’”

“Each of the other selected songs you mentioned,” Henley wrote, “has a special resonance in my life: Judy Garland’s ‘Over the Rainbow,’ one of the greatest ballads ever written, is part of the childhood of every Baby Boomer (and pre-Boomer, back to 1939). ‘Hound Dog’ (Elvis Presley’s version) was the first rock & roll record I ever owned. ‘I’ll Fly Away’ (Dillards’ version on ‘Wheatstraw Suite’ LP) has always been a favorite and was sung at my mother’s funeral. ‘Amazing Grace’ was one of my grandmother’s most beloved hymns.”

Referring to his Eagles bandmate Glenn Frey, who died last year, Henley added, “Glenn, being the avid sports fan that he was, would have been so pleased to know that our album went into the archives alongside Vin Scully’s historic 1957 broadcast of the Brooklyn Dodgers-New York Giants game at the Polo Grounds, the last Dodgers-Giants game ever played there.”

This is what Billboard had to say:

Quote:
    Their Greatest Hits (1971–1975), Eagles (1976)
    It's unusual for a group to be best known for a greatest-hits compilation, especially for the Eagles who, at the time, were thought of as an album band, not a singles band. It's even more surprising because the members of the group had no say in the decision to release such an album and didn't want one released. Against a backdrop of lawsuits, their record company decided to put out a greatest-hits package while the Eagles worked on their next studio album. The supposed potboiler, Their Greatest Hits (1971–1975), was intended merely to generate income and buy the Eagles some time while they worked on what would become Hotel California. Instead, the overwhelming response thrilled the record company — less so some members of the band. Don Henley complained that cobbling together a hits package diminished the artistic integrity of a concept album like Desperado,"from which two songs were taken. Nevertheless, fans loved the greatest hits, and it undeniably elevated the stature of the Eagles, making them one of the most successful and best-loved groups of their era.
    (It doesn't even get a mention in the Billboard introduction, let alone the headline).
    http://www.billboard.com/articles/ne...rding-registry

Thanks! UndertheWire

Great comments from Don. I didn't think he'd mention that he opposed it's release.

Many thanks UTW!!