Page 32 of 35 FirstFirst ... 222829303132333435 LastLast

Thread: Former Eagles Song Survivor Game

Default Re: Former Eagles Song Survivor Game

Just a little props to the runner up MF here with Jackson Browne

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s1C9UBp9zN8[/ame]

Thanks for that TK. They look and sound great, and JB is just icing on the cake for me!
    ~ Cathy ~

And I dream I'm on vacation 'Cause I like the way that sounds,
    It's a perfect occupation for me.

I really love that version... It's my fav as far as live versions go...

By my preferences I should intensely dislike this song as I can't stand banjos or country/bluegrass music but something about it gets me. I think it's the lyrics.

I'm probably in the minority but I love the "whoo's and oh's" that sound like trains. But I've always loved the sound of a train....

But TITTL is clearly the deserving winner here. What an amazing song.. I have a whole new appreciation for it after seeing the concert DVD in HotE.
    -Austin-
    Resident Guitar Slinger
    Fan of the Eagles from 1972-2016 #NOGLENNNOEAGLES

RIP Glenn Frey and Randy Meisner

"So often times it happens that we live our lives in chains and we never even know we have the key..."

Border Desperado RebeccaLovesEagles's Avatar

Take it to the Limit I like midnight flyer but my second choice would have been Certain kind of Fool and then My Man After the game is done, everyone should post their list

You know you have some delicious bugs here about on the Mississippi... Extra Protein thank you very much!!!!-Don Henley- At the St. Louis, MO concert June 2010.

Moderator Ive always been a dreamer's Avatar
    Cruising down the center of a two-way street in VA

Quote Originally Posted by WalshFan88 View Post
    By my preferences I should intensely dislike this song as I can't stand banjos or country/bluegrass music but something about it gets me. I think it's the lyrics.

I'm probably in the minority but I love the "whoo's and oh's" that sound like trains. But I've always loved the sound of a train....
    Austin, I am shocked about this as well. I thought you were voting as a coalition, so I was really astonished when you said that you actually prefer Midnight Flyer to Try and Love Again. Since T&LA is from your favorite album with your favorite band line-up, I would have never guessed you would prefer a bluegrass tune over it. Wonders never cease.

Anyway, I said earlier that I wondered how this game would have played out among a wider audience, so I got curious and went back and checked the results of our Top 40 Eagles poll that we did last summer. Here's what I found ... The only two songs in this game that made the Top 40 in that poll were TITTL (#4) and Bitter Creek (#33), yet Bitter Creek didn't fare that well in this game. Try and Love Again narrowly missed making the Top 40 by a couple of points, and Midnight Flyer didn't score very well at all.

So, go figure! I'm not sure what, if anything this suggests, other than that our opinions don't mean anything. But, nonetheless, I thought it was interesting anyway.

"People don't run out of dreams: People just run out of time ..."
    Glenn Frey 11/06/1948 - 01/18/2016

Quote Originally Posted by Ive always been a dreamer View Post
    Anyway, I said earlier that I wondered how this game would have played out among a wider audience, so I got curious and went back and checked the results of our Top 40 Eagles poll that we did last summer. Here's what I found ... The only two songs in this game that made the Top 40 in that poll were TITTL (#4) and Bitter Creek (#33), yet Bitter Creek didn't fare that well in this game. Try and Love Again narrowly missed making the Top 40 by a couple of points, and Midnight Flyer didn't score very well at all.

So, go figure! I'm not sure what, if anything this suggests, other than that our opinions don't mean anything. But, nonetheless, I thought it was interesting anyway.
    It means that people change their mind about a song. And can change it very quicky - I have a new appreciation for Midnight Flyer literally since the start of this game. It's not a song that I'd really played much before, but instrumentally and vocally I think it's very clever.

You also have to consider how many people of the people who took part in the Top 40 poll last year participated in this Survivor. And vice versa.

I would slightly dispute your claim that "yet Bitter Creek didn't fare that well in this game". Out of 16 songs to be voted off, it was number 11 - and that was on a tied vote. With tied votes, just one person's previous votes can determine whether a song goes or stays. Just as one more person voting in that round could have split the tie and saved Bitter Creek.
    There are also times in the voting when you have two songs that you like equally and because of the votes other people have made you have to vote to save one of them, rather than vote off a song. So there's lots of things which affect the results of a Survivor as opposed to a straightforward poll.

Quote Originally Posted by Ive always been a dreamer View Post
    Austin, I am shocked about this as well. I thought you were voting as a coalition, so I was really astonished when you said that you actually prefer Midnight Flyer to Try and Love Again. Since T&LA is from your favorite album with your favorite band line-up, I would have never guessed you would prefer a bluegrass tune over it. Wonders never cease.
    TALA was my 3rd pick...

TITTL
    MF
    TALA

That was my top 3 in order. As much as I respect Bernie as a guitar player, his songs with him on lead vocal don't do much for me. I really prefer Randy or Don F singing (of the former members).
    -Austin-
    Resident Guitar Slinger
    Fan of the Eagles from 1972-2016 #NOGLENNNOEAGLES

RIP Glenn Frey and Randy Meisner

"So often times it happens that we live our lives in chains and we never even know we have the key..."

Thanks for your perspective, UKTF, and I pretty much agree with your posts. You make a good point about Bitter Creek. It didn't finish badly, I guess I was just expecting it to finish higher. As far as my comment that you highlighted, it was intended to be 'tongue-in-cheek', which is why I added the smiley. Hopefully, that's the way it was perceived - I just thought it was an intriguing comparison, that's all. I guess I find it interesting because I'm generally not one that changes my mind a lot about what songs I like or dislike, but that's just me.

And Austin, I hear ya, but I love Bernie's voice. I find it very 'soothing'.

BTW - Just for the record ...

I cast my vote for Take It to the Limit to win this game!!!

Default Results of the Final Round: We took it to the limit

Okay – for the first time ever in the history of the Survivor games, we have a unprecedented clean sweep with the winning song receiving no prior elimination votes in the game at all. Now - that is truly taking it to the limit. The winner of the Former Eagles Song Survivor is “Take It to the Limit”. Congratulations …

Take It to the Limit

Votes
    Take It to the Limit – 17
    Midnight Flyer – 0

Vote Breakdown
    Take It to the Limit – Freypower
    Take It to the Limit – Prettymaid
    Take It to the Limit – WalshFan88
    Take It to the Limit – Grey Sadler
    Take It to the Limit – Brooke
    Take It to the Limit – TimothyBFan
    Take It to the Limit – Glennsallnighter
    Take It to the Limit – AstraeaLunaAvani
    Take It to the Limit – Annabel
    Take It to the Limit – GlennLover
    Take It to the Limit – AzEaglesFan
    Take It to the Limit – whitcap
    Take It to the Limit – sodascouts
    Take It to the Limit – Topkat
    Take It to the Limit – pueblo47
    Take It to the Limit – RebeccaLovesEagles
    Take It to the Limit – Ive always been a dreamer

Songs eliminated:
    Journey of the Sorcerer 4/04
    Train Leaves Here This Morning 4/06
    Most of Us Are Sad 4/08
    I Wish You Peace 4/10
    Tryin’ 4/12
    Too Many Hands 4/14
    Visions 4/16
    Earlybird 4/18
    Is It True 4/20
    Twenty-One 4/22
    Bitter Creek 4/24
    Certain Kind of Fool 4/26
    Take the Devil 4/28
    My Man 4/30
    Try and Love Again 5/02
    Midnight Flyer 5/04

So now - ONE MORE TIME ...

Congrats, Take It to the Limit!

To celebrate, here is some “Take It to the Limit” live video:

Houston 1976 (Randy)

https://www.eaglesonlinecentral.com/...LHouston76.wmv

Tokyo 1986 (Glenn)

http://www.glennfreyonline.com/multi...TTLTokyo86.wmv

1987 (Randy with Timothy B. Schmit and Richard Marx)

http://www.randymeisneronline.com/mu.../tittlmarx.wmv

Thanks for playing everyone and hope you enjoyed the game.