Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: Celebration of "Analog Man"

Moderator Ive always been a dreamer's Avatar
    Cruising down the center of a two-way street in VA

Default Re: Celebration of "Analog Man"

I'm really enjoying reading everyone's reviews. I'll eventually get around to posting mine, by I'm still not quite ready yet. I need to listen to it some more to see if my first impressions change any. I will say that overall, I'm really liking what I hear!

"People don't run out of dreams: People just run out of time ..."
    Glenn Frey 11/06/1948 - 01/18/2016

Great reviews everyone! Unfortunately, I can not write so good detailed Reviews.
    But I can say I love the album! There is no song that I do not like. although some are stronger than others.
    "For the record, we never broke up, we just took a 14-year vacation!"
    (Glenn Frey)

Well - I'm finally ready to post my thoughts about Analog Man after listening to it a lot over the last month or so. First of all, this is one of Joe's best solo efforts ever, IMO. There is still the stuff here that makes Joe Joe if YKWIM, but it is also a brand new Joe in many ways. Joe opens his heart and soul up on this album more than any other time in his career. Now, we have a clean, sober, mature clown prince of rock. There is no song on the album that I really dislike, but, of course, some are better than others, so here goes in the order of my favorite to least favorite ...

I love It

One Day At a Time – Wow – I never thought I would say or write these words, but I actually like this version of the song even more than the Eagles version – more guitar, less bass, and no horns makes it better, IMO. I love the Eagles version, but this version has a rockier, more energetic sound and the harmonies are more subdued, which I think works better in this case. Joe’s vocals are also fuller on this version and I don’t miss those background la la la’s. The song is an inspirational, meaningful, and honest look at recovery. It’s my favorite on the album.

Wrecking Ball – This is another song about “relevant stuff” that I love. It rocks musically, and has a great melody and lyrics. I like Joe’s vocals on this one a lot, too. Not much more to say other than it’s a really good song all around and my second favorite on the album.

Lucky That Way – I love the whole song, but especially the bridge. These are some of Joe’s best lyrics ever and, as others have mentioned, the best part of the song for me …

“I started in the middle of nowhere
    Didn’t have far to fall
    And the times I thought were the end of the world
    Didn’t turn out so bad after all.”

Wow! Who can’t relate to that? What can I say – take a bow, Joe!

I like it a lot

Family – I also think the lovely melody here is a kinda reminiscent of Pretty Maid All in a Row as PM mentioned. The song is heartfelt and very touching. I think of the lyrics as a celebration. Definitely, Joe all grown up and sober.

Band Played On – I absolutely love the chorus in this one, even though the verses are a little flat melodically. More great lyrics – and how many times on previous solo albums have we raved so much about great lyrics from Joe! Not that Joe hasn’t written great lyrics before, but it’s usually his great guitar licks that get all the attention. Of course, the great guitar is present here as well. Love the bubble sounds at the end.

Analog Man – It’s not my favorite on the album, but I still like it a lot. This song is vintage Joe. It combines humorous and clever lyrics with great music. ‘Nough said!

But I Try – I really like this a lot and don’t have a problem with him including it on the album. It rocks and fits thematically, and it’s nice to hear a bunch of old analog men jamming.

Funk 50 – Love that he included this. Great guitar work and a perfect complement to 48 & 49. Of course, Funk #49 remains the classic.

I like it

High Roller Baby – I like this song. As Soda said – it’s catchy and that’s good enough for me.

Spanish Dancer – I like this song okay, but I think the biggest problem is that it feels out of place here – it doesn’t seem to fit in thematically with the rest of the album. Also, I’m not fond of the melody and Joe’s vocals in this one, and the rock music is disjointed with the very pretty Latino music. Most of Jeff Lynne’s contributions on this album are very commendable, but this idea was not one of those times. But once again, I love the lyrics – very mysterious and romantic.

India – This is interesting to listen to, but doesn’t have any really memorable riffs that an instrumental should have to grab you and give it that “WOW” factor. It’s a little long, but I still like it. There’s one riff in there that actually reminds me of Saturday Night Fever.

Fishbone – What can I say, Joe? Glad you included it – the album wouldn’t have seemed like a Joe Walsh album without it. It’s funny and it rocks!

Stuck on the Border Tiffanny Twisted's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Ive always been a dreamer View Post
    Well - I'm finally ready to post my thoughts about Analog Man after listening to it a lot over the last month or so. First of all, this is one of Joe's best solo efforts ever, IMO. There is still the stuff here that makes Joe Joe if YKWIM, but it is also a brand new Joe in many ways. Joe opens his heart and soul up on this album more than any other time in his career. Now, we have a clean, sober, mature clown prince of rock. There is no song on the album that I really dislike, but, of course, some are better than others, so here goes in the order of my favorite to least favorite ...

I love It

One Day At a Time – Wow – I never thought I would say or write these words, but I actually like this version of the song even more than the Eagles version – more guitar, less bass, and no horns makes it better, IMO. I love the Eagles version, but this version has a rockier, more energetic sound and the harmonies are more subdued, which I think works better in this case. Joe’s vocals are also fuller on this version and I don’t miss those background la la la’s. The song is an inspirational, meaningful, and honest look at recovery. It’s my favorite on the album.

Wrecking Ball – This is another song about “relevant stuff” that I love. It rocks musically, and has a great melody and lyrics. I like Joe’s vocals on this one a lot, too. Not much more to say other than it’s a really good song all around and my second favorite on the album.

Lucky That Way – I love the whole song, but especially the bridge. These are some of Joe’s best lyrics ever and, as others have mentioned, the best part of the song for me …

“I started in the middle of nowhere
    Didn’t have far to fall
    And the times I thought were the end of the world
    Didn’t turn out so bad after all.”

Wow! Who can’t relate to that? What can I say – take a bow, Joe!

I like it a lot

Family – I also think the lovely melody here is a kinda reminiscent of Pretty Maid All in a Row as PM mentioned. The song is heartfelt and very touching. I think of the lyrics as a celebration. Definitely, Joe all grown up and sober.

Band Played On – I absolutely love the chorus in this one, even though the verses are a little flat melodically. More great lyrics – and how many times on previous solo albums have we raved so much about great lyrics from Joe! Not that Joe hasn’t written great lyrics before, but it’s usually his great guitar licks that get all the attention. Of course, the great guitar is present here as well. Love the bubble sounds at the end.

Analog Man – It’s not my favorite on the album, but I still like it a lot. This song is vintage Joe. It combines humorous and clever lyrics with great music. ‘Nough said!

But I Try – I really like this a lot and don’t have a problem with him including it on the album. It rocks and fits thematically, and it’s nice to hear a bunch of old analog men jamming.

Funk 50 – Love that he included this. Great guitar work and a perfect complement to 48 & 49. Of course, Funk #49 remains the classic.

I like it

High Roller Baby – I like this song. As Soda said – it’s catchy and that’s good enough for me.

Spanish Dancer – I like this song okay, but I think the biggest problem is that it feels out of place here – it doesn’t seem to fit in thematically with the rest of the album. Also, I’m not fond of the melody and Joe’s vocals in this one, and the rock music is disjointed with the very pretty Latino music. Most of Jeff Lynne’s contributions on this album are very commendable, but this idea was not one of those times. But once again, I love the lyrics – very mysterious and romantic.

India – This is interesting to listen to, but doesn’t have any really memorable riffs that an instrumental should have to grab you and give it that “WOW” factor. It’s a little long, but I still like it. There’s one riff in there that actually reminds me of Saturday Night Fever.

Fishbone – What can I say, Joe? Glad you included it – the album wouldn’t have seemed like a Joe Walsh album without it. It’s funny and it rocks!

Love it

Love that verse in Lucky that way.

I am so glad he did one day at a time.

A great cd

There was a review and a good pic of Joe in the Buffalo News today...they gave it three out of four stars...the only thing I hated was the review started out by saying that Joe was always too good to be an Eagle......can you imagine anyone saying that...I feel like giving that guy a piece of my mind...

Stuck on the Border TimothyBFan's Avatar

Great review, Dreamer!! You always do such a wonderful job on these reviews and I envy you, being able to put it in words. Thank!!

Quote Originally Posted by zeldabjr View Post
    There was a review and a good pic of Joe in the Buffalo News today...they gave it three out of four stars...the only thing I hated was the review started out by saying that Joe was always too good to be an Eagle......can you imagine anyone saying that...I feel like giving that guy a piece of my mind...
    Zelda---Actually, that's about par for the course in a lot of reviews. And that's usually when I do shoot off an email. I was on a roll a couple years back when 50% of the reviews from the LROOE tour were coming out with Timothy's name spelled incorrectly or when the one reviewer said he looked like "the crypt keeper". I was shooting off emails every other day for awhile!
    He sings it high, he plays it low

Stuck on the Border VAisForEagleLovers's Avatar

I've just realized that my review of Analog Man is not on here! I have it in a Word document somewhere, I'll copy and paste later tonight, I hope.
    VK

You can't change the world but you can change yourself.

Stuck on the Border Tiffanny Twisted's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by zeldabjr View Post
    that wasn't a nice thing to say.everyone has an opinion but that was uncalled for

Awww - Thanks for the compliments on my review, TT and TBF. You know me - rarely at a loss for words!

Good review Dreamer!

I agree it's some of Joe's best stuff! My other favorite solo albums from him not attached to the James Gang or Barnstorm would be But Seriously Folks and So What.
    -Austin-
    Resident Guitar Slinger
    Fan of the Eagles from 1972-2016 #NOGLENNNOEAGLES

RIP Glenn Frey and Randy Meisner

"So often times it happens that we live our lives in chains and we never even know we have the key..."