Page 7 of 22 FirstFirst ... 3456789101117 ... LastLast

Thread: The Beatles

Moderator Ive always been a dreamer's Avatar
    Cruising down the center of a two-way street in VA

Default Re: The Beatles

Thanks for finding that - it is awesome!

"People don't run out of dreams: People just run out of time ..."
    Glenn Frey 11/06/1948 - 01/18/2016

Out on the Border tjrrockandrollmaster's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Ive always been a dreamer View Post
    Thanks for finding that - it is awesome!
    Run Devil Run is a superb covers album and IMHO McCartney's best solo album since 1982's Tug of War (although Run Devil Run was mainly covers with three new tunes, including the track I shared, it was excellent plus a supergroup which was a supergroup (Paul with David Gilmour of Pink Floyd, Ian Paice of Deep Purple, Pete Wingfield and the late Mick Green of Johnny Kidd and the Pirates)).

Stuck on the Border

OK; I found this thread.

I realise that most people here who have commented prefer the Eagles' vocal blend to that of the Beatles. I would only say that I love the way the Beatles varied the type of harmonies they sang. I suppose this is preference only.

Compare the almost atonal hissing of 'that'ssss what I want' in Money and the raucousness of I'm Down to the achingly beautiful block harmonies of Because. Or the joyful choruses of Carry That Weight & Bungalow Bill, as opposed to the urgency of Help! & Eleanor Rigby. Then there is the way the three voices sound so soothing in Here Comes The Sun for example. Or how they comment on the narrative in Ticket To Ride & She's Leaving Home & Taxman. Or what they do in She Loves You & I Want To Hold Your Hand. Or....

Or Hey Jude. Wow. No more uplifting song has ever been written, in my opinion, and a lot of the power of it is due to the 'na, na, na' stuff at the end. Is it corny? Perhaps? Does it instantly make you want to sing along with it? Well, for me, yes it does.

This is extremely inadequate. Sorry. I had to say something though. They are too important to me for many reasons.

You're preaching to the choir here, FP! You know I love The Beatles. They are my all-time favorite band, including the Eagles. They did more in their short time together to progress rock music to so many different levels. I always think to myself, there would be no Bohemian Rhapsody without The Beatles. They paved the way for bands to experiment with all kinds of sounds.

That said, I still stand by my opinion that the Eagles have just about the best blend of vocals that I have ever heard, including The Beatles.
    ~ Cathy ~

And I dream I'm on vacation 'Cause I like the way that sounds,
    It's a perfect occupation for me.

Down some endless road just south of nowhere (Missouri)

Default Re: Bridgestone Arena, Nashville, TN - 10/16/2013

Quote Originally Posted by StephUK View Post
    The Beatles - In my opinion they were OK but there have been many better bands since. I'm too young to remember Beatlemania. I always find it strange that in the US the Beatles are still revered like gods while here in the UK they are hardly mentioned anymore, and most people under 35 don't even know who they were. I guess that's why Paul McCartney does far more solo shows in the US than he does in the UK!
    Gosh, never hear about the Beatles across the pond? Amazing! It seems we hear something about at least one of them every day!

And to me they are definitely legends and had a huge impact on rock music. But I only had the Revolver and Sgt. Pepper's albums back in the day. I only have the One cd now. Once in a while I will listen to it by myself, but never with my husband along. He isn't a fan at all. I've never bought any of their solo albums either. I have a few songs that I really love downloaded.
    https://i.imgur.com/CuSdAQM.jpg
    "They will never forget you 'till somebody new comes along"
    1948-2016 Gone but not forgotten

Moderator Ive always been a dreamer's Avatar
    Cruising down the center of a two-way street in VA

Very well said, PM. Except for your 3rd sentence, I feel EXACTLY the same way as you. However, as much as I love, appreciate, and admire The Beatles, the Eagles will always hold a special place in my heart as my all-time favorite band.

"People don't run out of dreams: People just run out of time ..."
    Glenn Frey 11/06/1948 - 01/18/2016

Default Re: Bridgestone Arena, Nashville, TN - 10/16/2013

Quote Originally Posted by Brooke View Post
    Gosh, never hear about the Beatles across the pond? Amazing! It seems we hear something about at least one of them every day!

And to me they are definitely legends and had a huge impact on rock music. But I only had the Revolver and Sgt. Pepper's albums back in the day. I only have the One cd now. Once in a while I will listen to it by myself, but never with my husband along. He isn't a fan at all. I've never bought any of their solo albums either. I have a few songs that I really love downloaded.
    I'm not really a fan either. I have a greatest hits cd, which I hardly ever play. I did have a vinyl copy of Rubber Soul, but don't know whether I still have it.

I like some of Lennon's solo songs. I'm not saying anything about McCartney, 'cos I know a lot of Borderers don't agree with me - I found that out in a previous thread!!

Quote Originally Posted by Freypower View Post

Albums:

1. Revolver (my favourite album of all time)
    2. The Beatles
    3. Abbey Road
    4. Rubber Soul
    5. A Hard Day's Night
    6. Sgt Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band
    7. Let It Be (totally underrated)
    8. Help!
    9. With The Beatles
    10. Beatles For Sale
    I just watched CBS Sunday Morning and they did a segment on The Beatles and the upcoming tribute special.

http://www.cbsnews.com/news/when-the...ed-everything/

My interest was really piqued and I think I will try to find some of these cds and get serious with them for a while! I've always liked a lot of their songs, just never been a huge fan and the only cd I have is One.

Fp, you list "The Beatles" album. There are two-62-66 and 67-70. Which one do you have at #2 or is there another one?

Beatles is my favorite band and it's great there'r special media coverage coming for the historical day 50(can you believe it) years ago

Brooke, the album Fp is refering to is "The White Album" officially known as The Beatles

Ok, thank you bf!