Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: RIP Chuck Berry

Border Troubadour

Default RIP Chuck Berry

Chuck Berry has passed away aged 90. A legendary figure and responsible for so much of the sound so many love.

Default Re: RIP Chuck Berry

I just read that on Facebook.

I was looking online to see if any of the guys met Chuck. I didn't know Joe was in the Hail! Hail!! Rock and Roll special. I found a picture of Joe on stage with Chuck and other musicians.

RIP Chuck

Brothers for life. RIP Glenn

I'm not sure I believe in fate, but I know that crossing paths with Glenn Lewis Frey in 1970 changed my life forever, and it eventually had an impact on the lives of millions of other people all over the planet. It will be very strange going forward in a world without him in it. But, I will be grateful, every day, that he was in my life. Rest in peace, my brother. You did what you set out to do, and then some." -Don Henley

Stuck on the Border buffyfan145's Avatar

RIP Chuck Berry. Such a legend in rock & roll a such an influence for so many. Always liked the Beatles covers of his songs too.
    ~*Amanda*~
    "So often times it happens that we live our lives in chains and we never even know we have the key."

Chuck Berry, a true pioneer. Rest in peace.

It's all in your smile that brings
    All of the special things about you

An old LA Times interview with Chuck Berry

Excerpt

"The reporter wanted to make sure he was hearing Berry right. Was this rock 'n' roll legend saying he would have been just as happy spending his life singing ballads like Nat Cole?

"Oh, I'd have been (ecstatic)," Berry beams. "I never would have touched rock 'n' roll. I'm sorry. ..."

http://www.latimes.com/entertainment...017-story.html

RIP Chuck. Rock and Roll would NOT be the same without his impact.

After hearing the news, I listened to the Eagles' live version of "Oh Carol"--what a rockin' song.

He lived a long life. RIP, the Father of Rock and Roll.

Right or wrong, what’s done is done
    It’s only moments that you borrow...

Stuck on the Border Jonny Come Lately's Avatar
    Watching the hazy sun sinking in the sea in England

RIP Chuck.

Farewell to a bona fide rock 'n' roll legend and a huge inspiration to so many great artists who followed him, Eagles included (think for example when Glenn talks about the 'Chuck Berry riffs' in Get Over It in HOTE - just shows what a great impact he made).

Quote Originally Posted by Jonny Come Lately View Post
    RIP Chuck.

Farewell to a bona fide rock 'n' roll legend and a huge inspiration to so many great artists who followed him, Eagles included (think for example when Glenn talks about the 'Chuck Berry riffs' in Get Over It in HOTE - just shows what a great impact he made).
    I forgot about that line. The intro. Straight Chuck Berry, never play a 7.

I wonder if any of the guys met Chuck. I know Joe was guest on his Hail! Hail! Rock & Roll movie.
    Last edited by shunlvswx; 03-27-2017 at 02:06 PM.

Brothers for life. RIP Glenn

I'm not sure I believe in fate, but I know that crossing paths with Glenn Lewis Frey in 1970 changed my life forever, and it eventually had an impact on the lives of millions of other people all over the planet. It will be very strange going forward in a world without him in it. But, I will be grateful, every day, that he was in my life. Rest in peace, my brother. You did what you set out to do, and then some." -Don Henley

Banned

As both Walsh and Henley prepare for Runaway Tours gigs that blatantly attempt to fleece the biggest spenders in their fan base, without giving away too much, I'd like to just point to the delights of Chuck's only number one UK hit, My Ding-a-Ling.

It's a live performance that captures a moment when a veteran, even by the early seventies, masterly stage performer connects totally with his audience, with a double entendred ditty, performed with an audience, to which double entendres would be part of their cultural upbringing. I doubt if any of the audience were familiar with the song but they are right there with Chuck all the way. No cell phones, Selfies, chatting with pals, just the true magic of an audience and performer becoming one.