Page 4 of 12 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast

Thread: Music Documentaries

Stuck on the Border buffyfan145's Avatar

Default Re: Music Documentaries

I just watched Justin Timberlake's new Netflix film "Justin Timberlake & The Tennessee Kids" and it was great!!! He really knows how to put on a show. This was filmed during his final "20/20 Experience" concert in Las Vegas last year and I loved how his band The Tennessee Kids has so many musicians and backup singers and dancers in it. He had a full brass section, two drummers, multiple keyboardists, two lead guitarists and a bass guitarist, and even played guitar himself on a few songs.
    ~*Amanda*~
    "So often times it happens that we live our lives in chains and we never even know we have the key."

PBS is airing an 8-part documentary called Soundbreaking. It starts on Monday, Nov. 14, and then the 2nd episode is on Tuesday. Check your local listings to check the time that it's airing. In the west coast, it'll be Monday at 10 pm.

Here's an article on it:
    http://kwbe.com/abc_classicr/starstu...abcid35806122/

I think it's about the history of music producing, so it'll go into several different styles and genres of music and the production techniques to make those types of music happen.

Link to official website of the documentary:
    http://soundbreaking.com/

Stuck on the Border NightMistBlue's Avatar

Oh wow. That sounds fascinating.

The first episode of Soundbreaking aired last night; next episode is this evening (dates/times may vary in your neck o' the woods).

Looks like tonight's episode could have Fleetwood Mac content, also Beach Boys. Plus, more Beatles & George Martin. I think George Martin had a hand in creating the series.

I'm not sure when the interviews were filmed. Sir George has since passed on, and Joni Mitchell was healthy in her brief segment.

It's interesting, but quite scattershot. There doesn't seem to be any particular rhyme or reason to who is being covered (briefly mentioned actually, due to time contraints) - it's neither a chronological nor thematic narrative.

It's apparently organized around the question, "What does a producer do?" We look at what George Martin did to help the Beatles realise their talents. We learn of Phil Spector's Wall of Sound production techniques. Then Joni Mitchell, who essentially produced herself. There's a longish segment with the Artist Formerly Known as Cat Stevens discussing his frustration with producers who put brass and strings on his songs. It implies he was his own producer, but of course he wasn't - Paul Samwell-Smith was, but he isn't named.

Then there was a long segment on hip-hop and I left the room.

Last night's episode has interview segments with Lindsey and Stevie, plus what looked like home movie footage of Lindsey recording bits of Tusk in his house (including the bathroom!).

I saw that it was coming on. I didn't watch Monday's episode, but I did record the rest of the series.

I like David Bowie's documentary Five Years that came out in 2013. I like BBC version better than the US version that was shown on Showtime and even VH1 Classic(it was an hour and thirty, but it was the hour version. Showtime version is only an hour and they cut so much of it. I wish they shown the 90 minutes version than the hour version. I found out online when I was looking for it that it was 90 minutes.

I saw the Bowie doc on VH1. I had read that it was very illuminating about the early sort of conceptualizing of his career/image and that his father helped him a lot. As I recall, there wasn't any of that! Maybe those were the bits that were edited out for the American version.

From what I remembered. They talked about Hunky Dory album, meeting Andy Warhol, they talked more about the Young American album, his musical relationship with Brian Eno and Robert Fripp(they went more in depth with those two), when he first met Ava Cherry(one of his backup singers on the Young American album and she was also his then girlfriend. I think David was dating her before they started recording YA. It was very brief on her. I wish they went into depth with Luther Vandross which I didn't know he knew David before he made it big), they talked about The Man Who Fell To Earth, more on the Scary Monsters album(a little recording session of Ashes to Ashes), David doing The Elephant Man, more depth on the three albums he made in Germany and other things. Some other stuff I probably left out.
    Last edited by shunlvswx; 11-16-2016 at 09:57 PM.

I love Luther. Still can't quite believe he's gone. That was cool to see the kind of home movie footage of Bowie showing the back-up singers - including Ava and young Luther - how he wanted it done.

One more thing I want to mention about last night's episode (that would be the second) because we have quite a few Pink Floyd fans on The Border: the beautiful and talented David Gilmour, as well as Roger Waters, were featured. They were discussing the recording of Dark Side of the Moon, naturally. Waters is also commenting throughout the program on other artists, such as the Beatles.

Tonight's program is about vocalists, I don't think I'll watch. I say that but then I probably will. I'm weirdly jealous about producers: they have the most fascinating careers, don't they? Darn them.

Stuck on the Border

It sounds interesting. I've checked and in the UK it's available through Sky Arts "On Demand" and was originally broadcast in July. I assume it's british, based on the high proportion of british acts.