Page 60 of 88 FirstFirst ... 105056575859606162636470 ... LastLast

Thread: Today in Eagles History

Default Re: Today in Eagles History

I had a pretty intense dream about Glenn last night. Maybe I subconsciously remembered today was the last show ever.

I really wanted to go to Bossier City just because I always like to see the first and last shows of a tour. However, I was in South Africa on a mission trip.

While in was in South Africa, on my down time, I started a letter to Glenn. I had written him several years ago, but I wanted to write him a new one once again expressing how much I appreciated him. I didn't finish the letter and it never got sent. Thank God I sent the first one but still... That is my biggest regret.

Always in our hearts, Never forgotten

Stuck on the Border AlreadyGone95's Avatar
    the middle of farm country (southwest Georgia)

I'm sad that I never got to see them live, but I became a fan less than 3 months before the last show. I couldn't afford the ticket prices anyway.

Soda, I think Glenn knew (or now knows) how much you appreciated him, given that you went to so many Eagles shows, his solo shows, and Pebble Beach. Take comfort in that he did know at some point and acknowledged that.
    -Kim-

People don't run out of dreams, People just run out of time

Down some endless road just south of nowhere (Missouri)

That's right, Soda. You actually met him personally and he recognized you at some shows. He knew!

Yep, a sad day for us fans.
    https://i.imgur.com/CuSdAQM.jpg
    "They will never forget you 'till somebody new comes along"
    1948-2016 Gone but not forgotten

Border Desperado

I liked in the article posted on page 59 how the writer, who was from radio, and a long time Eagles fan thanked all seven of the Eagles...even those not a part of that last show...for their contributions that made this band we came to know as The Eagles.

Whether you became a fan in the 70s and rode that train all the way home or, as someone mentioned here, became a fan only 3 months before the last performance...this Eagle thing has been a journey of 40+ years. Embrace the entire journey, like the reporter, thank every single player who was an Eagle, and be so grateful for the library of magic we have at our fingertips to keep their legacy alive.

They were, are, and will always be the best of the best. As Glenn put it, "Maybe a band for our time could become a band for all time." I think they have.

Moderator Ive always been a dreamer's Avatar
    Cruising down the center of a two-way street in VA

I hate that I'm a day with this post, but the last show was on my mind all day long yesterday. It gives me an overwhelming sense of sadness knowing that I'll never again see the band that has been my favorite band for more than 40 years. I always knew it would have to end at some point, but I never envisioned the end would come as it did. So, yeah, this one is gonna rank right up there as one of the saddest days in Eagles history.

"People don't run out of dreams: People just run out of time ..."
    Glenn Frey 11/06/1948 - 01/18/2016

Stuck on the Border Jonny Come Lately's Avatar
    Watching the hazy sun sinking in the sea in England

I can relate a lot to what several of the other younger members have said, as I would have loved to have seen the Eagles live. As chance would have it I discovered the Eagles and their music in 2013, just as they were playing the first shows on the HOTE marathon tour. They came to Liverpool (much closer to where I live than Manchester where I saw Don) in summer 2014 and it is a regret of mine that I didn't go - I suspect I probably 'missed the boat' as I was still discovering their albums around the time when I would have needed to get tickets, and didn't really know when they were coming to the UK. What makes it a real shame is that I love all of the older, more obscure songs that they added to the setlist for that tour. I can only imagine how awesome it would have been to experience the magnificent Doolin-Dalton/Desperado Reprise live.

The only real positive to come out of it is that when Don announced he was coming to the UK, I knew deep in my heart that I couldn't let the chance go past with going to see him, as it could be the only chance I will ever get. Sometimes I don't push people hard enough when I want to do or see something, or try to find excuses for not pushing and then miss out, but this time was different and I made sure that I was going. I am so, so glad that I went as I had a fantastic night and although it is a great shame that I never got to see Glenn, I did see Don dedicate Desperado to him (which he didn't do at all his shows IIRC).

Border Desperado

The infamous "Long Night at Wrong Beach" was 36 years ago today. From my vantage point in the cheap seats I had no idea of the acrimony between Glenn and Don F. I wasn't able to get tickets for a show at the Santa Monica Civic and I was so glad when the benefit was announced. I thought it was a great show!

So cool that you were there!

A hard day for Eagles fans, but it was meant to be. The break helped them come back better than ever.

Always in our hearts, Never forgotten

Wow, thanks for sharing FWIW! Did you live in SoCal at the time or did you just drive or fly over there for the Eagles?

It's kind of weird that these past few days of Eagles history have a couple of unfortunate good-byes.

Border Desperado

I was living in SoCal when I went (with my brother) to the Long Beach show. We were both amazed when we saw the excerpts in HOTE.

I've always wondered if people in the first few rows were able to hear any of the dialog. I was nowhere near the front (I think I paid ~$10 for my ticket.) so I was blissfully ignorant.