Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: RIP Leon Russell

Default RIP Leon Russell

I saw Leon Russell in concert in an outdoor amphitheatre venue back in the very late '70's, opening for Willie Nelson. He was sooo good. I remember bits and pieces of it vividly.
    Come to think of it, it may have been my very first concert on my own, unaccompanied by parent or guardian! LOL... Yeah, I think it was.

RIP Leon.

This has been a tough year. Sigh...

It's all in your smile that brings
    All of the special things about you

Default Re: RIP Leon Russell

Yes, a tough year indeed. How nice you got to see him perform back then, LT.

He was a member of the legendary Wrecking Crew (I've got to watch that documentary sometime) and had a great bluesy Southern rock voice, but he was probably better known for his instrumental skills.

RIP Leon Russell

Right or wrong, what’s done is done
    It’s only moments that you borrow...

Stuck on the Border NightMistBlue's Avatar

The Wrecking Crew is a great documentary, for many reasons. I don't remember Leon being interviewed, but he was surely mentioned.

The New York Times obit gives a good overview of Mr. Russell's amazing career; they call him a musician's musician. I love the anecdote that over 100 artists have covered "A Song for You" but it took Mr. Russell just about 10 minutes to write it http://www.nytimes.com/2016/11/14/ar...t-74.html?_r=0

IMO, Karen Carpenter did the most moving rendition of "A Song for You." Particularly when she gets to the lyric: I love you in a place where there's no space or time/I love you all my life, you are a friend of mine...
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CQKnpJul8MU

I gotta stop now, I'm verklempft. Talk amongst yourselves...

Border Desperado SilverAcidRayne's Avatar

this has been a tough year indeed. this one hurts also.

Such a talented Singer/Musician. RIP Leon.

So Put Me On A Highway And Show Me A Sign
    And Take It To The Limit One More Time..............

Quote Originally Posted by NightMistBlue View Post
    The Wrecking Crew is a great documentary, for many reasons. I don't remember Leon being interviewed, but he was surely mentioned.

The New York Times obit gives a good overview of Mr. Russell's amazing career; they call him a musician's musician. I love the anecdote that over 100 artists have covered "A Song for You" but it took Mr. Russell just about 10 minutes to write it http://www.nytimes.com/2016/11/14/ar...t-74.html?_r=0

IMO, Karen Carpenter did the most moving rendition of "A Song for You." Particularly when she gets to the lyric: I love you in a place where there's no space or time/I love you all my life, you are a friend of mine...
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CQKnpJul8MU

I gotta stop now, I'm verklempft. Talk amongst yourselves...
    Absolutely agree with you about Karen Carpenter's cover and am so happy to see someone else appreciates her rendition of this particular song as much as I do. Karen was an amazing singer and I will never forget that day when it was announced she had passed away. Talk about heartbroken. I cried my eyes out.

"Let's burn our long johns and head west" - Glenn Frey 1948-2016

Leon Russll was quite simply in a league all his own and I regret terribly that I never saw him in concert.

One of my favorite collaborations was his work with JJ Cale who was also from Oklahoma and also passed away at age 74.

2016 was a rough year to be sure.

JJ Cale and Leon Russell 1979

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=IaHxPi9dM7o

FYI for those who may not know ... the woman in this video is a very talented singer and guitarist in her own right - Christine Lakeland. She was married to JJ and played in his band and on his albums. I believe she still records/tours.

"Let's burn our long johns and head west" - Glenn Frey 1948-2016

Stuck on the Border NightMistBlue's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Dawn View Post
    Absolutely agree with you about Karen Carpenter's cover and am so happy to see someone else appreciates her rendition of this particular song as much as I do. Karen was an amazing singer and I will never forget that day when it was announced she had passed away. Talk about heartbroken. I cried my eyes out.
    Dawn, I'm mighty impressed with you: major points for loving Carl Wilson *and* Karen Carpenter. You're good people, as they say in Pennsylvania.

Stuck on the Border Annoying Twit's Avatar

Sorry to hear about this. I didn't know his music well, mostly knowing him by his performance during The Concert for Bangladesh. But even just by that, he will be missed.

Border Rebel

Quote Originally Posted by Dawn View Post
    I think plenty of people loved The Carpenters, it just might not have been so cool to admit it back then. My dad took me and a friend to see them in 1972. I was about 13 at the time and the album "A Song for You" had to be among the earliest of my album purchases. I've been researching some of my concerts through old concert reviews and was blown away that she was only 22 at this time. She had such a rich, mature voice. I think that she was an incredible talent.