Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Department Of Witty Repartee

Banned

Cool Re: Department Of Witty Repartee

Well, ETG, you didn't want to spend TOO much time looking over your shoulder: you might walk into a brick wall...

Banned

Cool Re: Department Of Witty Repartee

Glenn Frey's Haircut (An Aside)

Being of a certain age, I was surprised when I saw that Frey had gotten his hair cut short - this was around the time the first solo album was released. He showed up to one of our dates with his short hair, looking very… movie-star-like, very current. Totally up-to-date.

Naturally, I couldn't let him get away with this without a few… supportive comments.

"Oh, hi," I said when he arrived at the venue. "You must be Glenn Frey's dad. Or… wait: you're his uncle Mort, right? He told me you looked a lot like him, only way older…"

He smiled, nodding his head and getting that look on his face that said, "OK, A--hole, we're gonna have an interesting weekend." This was par for the course - if you were going to dish it out, you had to be able to take it.
    "All seriousness aside, Glenn," I went on, "it looks great. So, um, how ARE things in the Mormon Church these days?"

(No harm intended to any of you LDSers out there. I knew a guy who was a bishop, and he looked just like Leon Russell…)

Stuck on the Border

Default Re: Department Of Witty Repartee

Quote Originally Posted by peneumbra View Post
    Glenn Frey's Haircut (An Aside)

Being of a certain age, I was surprised when I saw that Frey had gotten his hair cut short - this was around the time the first solo album was released. He showed up to one of our dates with his short hair, looking very… movie-star-like, very current. Totally up-to-date.

Naturally, I couldn't let him get away with this without a few… supportive comments.

"Oh, hi," I said when he arrived at the venue. "You must be Glenn Frey's dad. Or… wait: you're his uncle Mort, right? He told me you looked a lot like him, only way older…"

He smiled, nodding his head and getting that look on his face that said, "OK, A--hole, we're gonna have an interesting weekend." This was par for the course - if you were going to dish it out, you had to be able to take it.
    "All seriousness aside, Glenn," I went on, "it looks great. So, um, how ARE things in the Mormon Church these days?"

(No harm intended to any of you LDSers out there. I knew a guy who was a bishop, and he looked just like Leon Russell…)
    Cute story ! From pictures I have seen, Glenn first got his hair cut shorter in 1978 but still had the 'stache. In late '78/79, he had the haircut without the mustache. I liked both looks but prefer the hc that was on The Long Run album. He looked great with that haircut.

Border Desperado

the guys were champion chameleons early on .. long hair, short(er) hair, mustaches and beards and clean shaven. below is a pic from ‘74 showing Glen with short hair. Randy’s is long and Bernie is rocking shorts in the Miami heat.
    Last edited by tac0mao6; 03-18-2018 at 02:47 AM.

Stuck on the Border

Quote Originally Posted by tac0mao6 View Post
    the guys were champion chameleons early on .. long hair, short(er) hair, mustaches and beards and clean shaven. below is a pic from ‘74 showing Glen with short hair. Randy’s is long and Bernie is rocking shorts in the Miami heat.
    His hair wasn't short in that photo, unless you consider shoulder length to be short.

Stuck on the Border

Quote Originally Posted by tac0mao6 View Post
    I remember an old interview with Glenn from the 80's. He said they reason they changed their looks all the time and were only on one album cover was because they did not want people to know what they looked like. He thought it made them "mysterious" and gave them the privacy they wanted. No Beatlemania for them.

I always figured Glenn liked the long hair thing since it was so popular, but as thick as his hair was, it was probably darned uncomfortable at those outdoor concerts, so he'd cut it, then grow it out, then cut it again. I suspect when he finally whacked it all off in '80 or so, it was so much easier to keep, he just decided to keep it short. I liked the length he had it for the HFO tours.
    (And let's face it: saying you change your look for the mystery of it sounds a heck of a lot cooler and more hip than, "I've got a ton of hair and got tired of dealing with it." LOLOLOL. Even if there is some truth to the mystery angle.)

Loving your stories, peneumbra, keep them coming!!