Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Why Glenn Frey is my Idol

Default Why Glenn Frey is my Idol

Hi Glenn fans, Freyniacs ok those dumb names for us Frey Fans lol.

In memory of Glenn on the second year anniversary I wanted share the core reason Glenn was so special. We all can only really choose one idol and Glenn was mine so I'm going to open up to you about why that is.

Glenn Frey came along was an identity for I was a young confused university student who couldn't relate to clubbing lifestyle and my poor choice of degree.
    But when I got fully into the Eagles in 2012 I was 21 well I don't know how that road turned onto the road I am on.

This will sound sad but he finally gave me a direction a goal of the personality I wanted. He had the right mix of exuberance and cynicism, macho and feminine, Rock and pop and soul, danger and easygoing, laidback and tough.
    The next year I did a charity hitchhike across Europe it was a disaster as my partner lost her wallet but when we came across a large a CD shop in Barcelona the only thing I got out of all the choice was the Glenn Frey Solo hits Universal collection.

When I went to my one and only Eagles show in the summer of 2014 in Manchester arena I stared at Glenn in his white shirt who was so far away but so near. I now wish I shelled out more money for a seat closer instead of being almost by the roof lol. But when I heard he passed I ultimately felt grateful we had that one special evening together. Thanks OTB74
    Same Dancers in the Same Old Shoes

Down some endless road just south of nowhere (Missouri)

Default Re: Why Glenn Frey is my Idol

Thank you for sharing your story, OtB74! I'm glad you found Glenn's and the Eagles music! I will agree it's wonderful!

Concerts make great memories, too!
    https://i.imgur.com/CuSdAQM.jpg
    "They will never forget you 'till somebody new comes along"
    1948-2016 Gone but not forgotten

Quote Originally Posted by Brooke View Post
    Thank you for sharing your story, OtB74! I'm glad you found Glenn's and the Eagles music! I will agree it's wonderful!

Concerts make great memories, too!
    Thanks Brooke!

Stuck on the Border

I hate to be pedantic but the anniversary is on the 18th.

Quote Originally Posted by Freypower View Post
    I hate to be pedantic but the anniversary is on the 18th.
    Oh yeah I know just sayign this in the build up to it rather than necessarily on the day as it's only loosely related to his anniversary, was really wanting share why I love Glenn so much with the community

Stuck on the Border Houston Baby's Avatar

Good story OtB74!

I fell in love with Glenn at my first EAGLES concert, November 6 1976. It was his birthday and Glenn was gorgeous looking and so funny!

Quote Originally Posted by Houston Baby View Post
    Good story OtB74!

I fell in love with Glenn at my first EAGLES concert, November 6 1976. It was his birthday and Glenn was gorgeous looking and so funny!
    Would you happen to know if that’s the same concert of the Houston bootleg? I remember JD Souther telling the crowd that it was Glenn’s birthday and he was playfully acting all mad, before they played best of my love. It was in Houston. If so that’s pretty cool

Stuck on the Border Houston Baby's Avatar

Yes, it was YEF though I didn't hear about the bootleg until about 6 or 7 years ago.

I was sitting in the 3rd row right in front of Joe Walsh. I remember that I could not believe that they had added Joe to the lineup. I was of the belief that he was going to ruin their sound. But boy was I wrong! By the time the concert was over I thought that was the best addition they could have made. Joe was fantastic!!!

Wow what a cool memory, that is so awesome you got to see the band then. I could totally see being worried about the addition of Joe Walsh to the band but it totally worked out great!

I could perhaps understand those worried about Joe, as being most interested in the harmonies and country-rock era. Joe was the rock guitar player, with a very unqiue and perhaps polarizing voice that wasn't as smooth as Bernie was maybe.

For me, and I'm probably an outlier, but I never paid as much attention to them as a vocal band or a harmony band. At least not in the way I did, dare I say it, CSN. In fact, I still kind of don't. But for whatever reason, the later on they went with their live performances (HFO, F1, etc) the more they became audible to me. I certainly didn't/don't notice it listening to their 70s records or live tapes.

For me the Eagles were all about great songs with great themes AND a rock n' roll guitar sound with DF and Joe where every song had an identifiable riff or part or solo that was very unlike British rock in stylistics but every bit as rockin' and cool. For me I rarely took note of the harmonies going on in those songs, it just wasn't my focus. I don't know why I do for CSN, perhaps because IMO they have less rock guitar going on, and a bit less lyrical themes that I can identify with, so I hear the harmonies more, for lack of a better description. I think they focused on it more as they got older, but that's just what I felt. "The Circle Of Fear", etc.

For me, I wasn't there at the time. But if I was, I'd say I wouldn't have been a fan until DF and Joe were there, or at least DF. The first two records aren't my bag. So I think if OOTN, HC, TLR, etc hadn't been recorded, I wouldn't have been a fan. It was just too country and folk-y for me as a rocker at heart. DF started the transition, Joe finished it. And it will always be my opinion the Eagles were better for it. I realize the band has a lot of "original 4" fans, and that's cool but not me.

I actually love(d) British rock music and for me, even the American rock bands I liked, were very much in the stylings of a Rolling Stones, Led Zeppelin band. The Eagles were distinctly American, but yet not too soft all the time like most American rock bands of the time. They could rock, they could also do a soft song.
    -Austin-
    Resident Guitar Slinger
    Fan of the Eagles from 1972-2016 #NOGLENNNOEAGLES

RIP Glenn Frey and Randy Meisner

"So often times it happens that we live our lives in chains and we never even know we have the key..."