Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Celebration of "Ordinary Average Guy"

Default Celebration of "Ordinary Average Guy"

Ordinary Average Guy was released 20 years ago today - April 23, 1991!

While it's not his strongest effort, it still has some highlights. I will stay positive and put "no comment" next to the truly sucky ones.

Two Sides to Every Story - it can get a little sing-songy, but it has some clever lyrics.

Ordinary Average Guy - One time I dated a guy who knew Joe Walsh solely from this song (he was born in 1974) - and he thought the song was great. So do I! It's funny and catchy. Love it!

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mLNAkPsjAEk[/ame]

P.S I never knew Joe Walsh had a YouTube Vevo Channel!

Gamma Goochee - No comment.

All of a Sudden - I think this one is pretty and Joe sings it with emotion. Some may find it too soft-rockish but it's a standout track to me. Love the way the sax transitions into the guitar in the instrumental interlude about halfway through.

Alphabetical Order - No comment.

Look at Us Now - The energetic drums throughout provide a sense of urgency to this song about us destroying the world - like we'd better stop it now or we're screwed. A different kind of "statement" song. Effective.

I'm Actin' Different - This song isn't a favorite of mine but the part about the "bright lights" is nice. The "never gonna change" part is also interesting.

Up All Night - This is an interesting song because the lyrics seem kind of ambiguous - he overtly seems to still be having fun staying up all night but his vocal has nothing like the spirit of "All Night Long" and some of the verses seem downbeat. When viewed in the context of Joe's life, it's telling.

You Might Need Somebody - another one I like that is always overlooked. The moody tone works and I like the use of the background singers, too.

Where I Grew Up (Prelude to School Days) - There's not much to this little piece but the melody is nice.

School Days - Not the greatest but not awful. It's got a peppy melody but the lyrics are kind of melancholy. It's like "Summer of '69" in theme but not quite up to that one in terms of execution.

Any other thoughts, Joe fans? (I know not many have the album so I linked to the songs I could find - feel free to listen and offer opinions)

Always in our hearts, Never forgotten

Default Re: Celebration of "Ordinary Average Guy"

Gotta be honest...Joe has had a lot of just mediocre songs and several are on this album. I think Joe was on a synth kick on this album. Just so much that doesn't sound "real".

Joe used a lot of special effects on this album. Not talking about stomp boxes. Electric Drum Kit metal sound. Other stuff too. But the thing that stands out more than anything else to me is that the general vocal formula on this album seemed to be close to the same on all the songs.

I did really like OAG. It was just a fun song.

I liked the drive of "Two Sides To Every Story" and Joe's vocals better fitted this song more so than others on this album. I like the harp at the beginning too.

"Gamma Go0chee" did have some good slide guitar...not a lot but enought to identify it with Joe. His "Pulpit" voice was a bit funny but the song didn't have a lot going for it.

"All of a Sudden"...I liked the guitar work in most of it but the vocals and the lyrics didn't do much for me. Too choppy or something.

"Alphabetical Order"....I think he must have been stoned when he came up with this one <LOL> Nuff Said. That's probably not a far out speculation. Joe didn't get straight and sober until '94 and he was really used up in 90 and 91. Sad.

"Look At Us Now": Agree with Nancy...loved the drums. One of the highlights on the album that didn't have a lot of things to find good about.

"I'm Acting Different" He's carrying that slurred note thing in his vocals and has been using it on most of the songs on this album. Not noteworthy.

"Up All Night" another forgettable song. But his vocals were a bit better here than on some of them.

"You Might Need Somebody" Vocally, this was one of the better cuts on the album. He had some good background vocalists on it.

"Where I Grew Up" This one just did absolutely nothing for me.

"School Days" Good Guitar! Joe's vocals make me think that he was actually interested in singing this one!

I feel like a Traitor making these kind of comments about anything Joe has done, but I can't come up with a lot of high praise for this one. It just let us die-hard fans know that Joe was still alive...though barely.

MikeA

It's alright - this thread is about discussion, whether you like the songs or not.

As for "Alphabetical Order" - I have to agree that he was probably "acting under the influence" when he came up with that. However, the good news is that it gave him good practice for texting people 20 years later!

For those who haven't heard it, check out the lyrics 2 c what I mean.

A!
    A-A!
    Triple A! (Triple A?)
    Heh hey hey!
    U can B 1. U can B 1, 2
    2 B, or not 2 B, C?
    ABCs R EZ
    ABCs R fun, hey!
    Alphabetical order

Here we go
    UFO on LSD
    R2D2, C3PO, how 'bout ET?
    ABC, BBC, CBS, NBC
    MTV, VH1, HBO, CNN, SCTV
    SAT, CD, BA, BS? And how 'bout PhD? Hey!

Alphabetical order
    Hey hey hey! Alphabetical order, from A 2 Z
    Alphabetical order, it's EZ
    DWI, MADD, EAR, hey, ERA
    PMS, IUD, VD, HIV? RU12? Uh-O!
    DNA, S&M, TLC, ILBTs, X

Alphabetical order, from A 2 Z
    Alphabetical order, it's EZ

CIA, ADB, FBI, IRS
    TRW, IOU, CPA, SOS
    A-1-W-9-2-W
    3D, 4H, E-I-E-I-O!
    10SC!
    PS
    N-E-S-T-L-E-S
    R-O-L-A-I-D-S
    R-E-S-P-E-C-T
    M-I-C-K-E-Y
    Y?
    Y?
    'Cause we like 2
    USA, hey!

Alphabetical order

I love the title track!
    -Austin-
    Resident Guitar Slinger
    Fan of the Eagles from 1972-2016 #NOGLENNNOEAGLES

RIP Glenn Frey and Randy Meisner

"So often times it happens that we live our lives in chains and we never even know we have the key..."

As always, I can find something positive in any Joe song. Turn of a phrase, a nice chord progression, some Joecasm or cool sound effect. That said, this was a cry for help as much as an artistic expression. As I've said in other posts, I saw Joe a few times in the '91 or '92 era during the supporting tour and never thought I'd see him alive again. His physical appearance was shocking. And during the Joe Joe and the Chocolate Waddy enablers convention, nobody was brave enough or sober enough to realize the product wasn't up to previous standards. Joe's said some strong things about this album, hated it and hated the tour. Enough that this is the only album, I think, that isn't represented on "Look What I Did". The OAG is actually a POT live tract, not from this album.

2 sides - Probably my favorite track from the album, I think it rocks. I also enjoy the harp intro, can't remember who he said taught him to play....

OAG - Not my favorite Joe song, somewhat reflective on LBG after a few years.

Gamma - At least its not his composition. Sometimes I find it amusing, usually it gets skipped.

All of a Sudden - kinduva druggie confessional. All of a sudden the Sh!t hits the fan and you didn't even see it coming 'cause you were so out of it most of the time. Makes sense later on...I think this is very interspective depth-wise compared to other songs here. I like the slide work.

Alpha Order - Some nice licks, some clever puns, more Joe Joe and the Chocolate Waddy escapades. Sounds so loaded.

Look At Us Now - As an environmentalist, I love this song, he was about 20 years ahead, or behind...some more nice licks and drums.

Same Ol Way - More introspection. Acting different but hasn't changed. The addict sees no future but can't face the "bright lights" he's still an understudy not the lead actor in his own life. Never gonna change?

Up All Night - still about his lifestyle, new day that didn't matter, world still turns anyway. Still some nice licks. not a fav of mine.

You Might Need Somebody - some pretty vulnerable stuff. I like this one. Some good voicebox work.

Where I grew up - some nice nastalgia about his mom and dad. Intro to Joe Vitale's song

School Days - This is a Joe Vitale song and lead vocal. I do like Joe Ws pic runs, jam at the end, nice drums, otherwise forgetable.

I think the pic on the back is very telling. it's the saddest JW pic I've ever seen...they say they every pic's a thousand words, I think this one says more than that.
    http://farm6.static.flickr.com/5084/5316660629_4a27633c34.jpg
    Good morning my ...
    ~Deb~

I'm reviving this thread from last year because, once again, it's the anniversary of the release of Ordinary Average Guy! Feel free to leave your thoughts!

As I'm sure it does with you, it brings back memories of The Party of Two show in Aspen 2 summers ago - Joe: "I've got a condo" Glenn: "And I've got a lodge". And also - Joe: "Pick up the dog s**t, hope that it's hard". Ah, memories, memories.

Gosh, is it really going on two years now since the Party of Two show in Aspen? Dang!

Moderator Ive always been a dreamer's Avatar
    Cruising down the center of a two-way street in VA

Happy 21st Anniversary Ordinary Average Guy!

I loved hearing the song live in Aspen too. Like GL, I cracked up at the line, "I've got a condo", and "I've got a lodge".

"People don't run out of dreams: People just run out of time ..."
    Glenn Frey 11/06/1948 - 01/18/2016

Cool Re: Celebration of "Ordinary Average Guy"

That OAG video just slays me. From the fingers on those strings to the silver on those boots and all that sexiness contained in that frame.........Wait, yes, I do have it pretty bad for Mr. Walsh.

Anyway, OAG was the third Joe Walsh album I ever bought and for me, my fav songs on it are-

Two Sides To Every Story
    All Of A Sudden (Swoon!)-nice to hear Joe do a love song
    Look At Us Now-good drum beat
    You Might Need Somebody

The song that I think doesn't do it for me is Gamma Goochie. I think Joe could have chosen something better for that space on the album.