Page 63 of 145 FirstFirst ... 135359606162636465666773113 ... LastLast

Thread: For Those Saying Glenn Frey is Necessary to the Eagles; no Glenn, no legit Eagles

Banned

Cool Re: Eagles.... 3.0

You'd think that nobody would rip off a band's name and use it, BUT ---

Remember the Fleetwood Mac - Bob Welch debacle? Welch was a (sort of) member of Fleetwood Mac; when they stopped touring, he (Welch) got together a bunch of musicians and toured as… Fleetwood Mac!

Yeah, there was a lawsuit (several), but one basic legal truth is that suing somebody who has no discoverable assets is essentially pointless.

And, Dreamer, I'll be over at your house tomorrow, say… six p.m.?

Default Re: Eagles.... 3.0

That's not what happened. It was their manager who created a "fake" Fleetwood Mac, and it wasn't really a comparable situation at all. Welch was actually still in Fleetwood Mac - the real one - when that occurred. Here's the story:

https://www.rollingstone.com/music/n...-tour-19740228

PS I wouldn't call him a sort-of member either. He wasn't there a long time, but he made strong contributions like "Sentimental Lady" to the catalog. He was the real deal.

Always in our hearts, Never forgotten

Banned

Cool Re: Eagles.... 3.0

Thanks for straightening this out. It wasn't a very pleasant picture...

Moderator Ive always been a dreamer's Avatar
    Cruising down the center of a two-way street in VA

Quote Originally Posted by WalshFan88 View Post

Thanks for the laugh Dreamer.
    Much obliged, WF!

Quote Originally Posted by peneumbra View Post
    And, Dreamer, I'll be over at your house tomorrow, say… six p.m.?
    Well, now … no offense, but I’m afraid I can’t invite a complete stranger over to my house. As a respectable Southern Belle, I prefer to keep this proper – I’ll meet you at Bubba’s Bar.

"People don't run out of dreams: People just run out of time ..."
    Glenn Frey 11/06/1948 - 01/18/2016

Quote Originally Posted by Freypower View Post
    I completely disagree that there will be a tribute.

After all, as far as these people seem to be concerned Glenn Frey is no longer relevant to them. If they had wanted to do a tribute they would have done so before now.

Glenn was 'worn out' when I last saw him in March 2015. It's sad, but it's a fact.
    While I agree two years is plenty of time for Azoff, Henley and others to do a tribute for Glenn Frey I am hopeful his family will step up to the plate and ultimately make it happen. I note musician friends of Tom Petty certainly didn't waste any time and in fact, have actually done two tribute concerts already.

Touring is hard work even with his considerable resources and the best amenities and conveniences money can buy. I really believe Glenn Frey was likely in need of some serious R&R when the HOTE tour finally ended in late July 2015. When you consider it was only a few months afterwards he was hospitalized first in LA then later in NYC it seems clear focusing on his health needs would have been a top priority and it saddens me to know when you last saw him in March 2015 he would be gone in less than a year.

"Let's burn our long johns and head west" - Glenn Frey 1948-2016

Stuck on the Border Houston Baby's Avatar

All of these changes in 2 short years.

Actually though, these 2 short years seem so long.....

I have not posted any of my feelings here because it just makes me sad. All of my longtime EAGLES buddies know how I feel about the guys continuing, it just does not make sense to me.
    Mainly because I agree with GA..... "The Eagles are not the Eagles without Glenn. It was his band, he started it, he maintained it and as far as I'm concerned he called time on it."

Since Glenn's passing, I have been to the guys' solo shows - Timothy twice, Joe once and Don once at his Runaway Tour and then his birthday concert. Loved all of their solo concerts and will continue to support their solo efforts. However I cannot make myself go to one of the band's concerts. It was hard enough when Timothy and Joe were on stage with Don at his birthday concert. I cannot imagine how I would feel seeing Vince or Deacon singing Glenn's leads. It would be too sad for me.

But as others have said, we are all different and have our own reasons for going/not going. I have found this thread interesting in reading the discussion. And I feel the purpose of the thread is to express our feelings, no criticism or judgement needed.

I was texting a friend earlier and we were both reminiscing about how excited we would all get when EAGLES concert dates were announced. We would be texting and calling each other on what cities & dates would work for us. The craziness we went thru getting good seats. The overtime I would have to work in order to buy the VIP packages. Those were such AMAZING times!!! So much fun!

And for those who are going to these next concerts, I hope you have as much fun! Enjoy every moment, life is precious!

Reading back over this post, I am even more sad. I think I will need to join Dreamer and peneumbra for a beer.

Default Re: For Those Saying Glenn Frey is Necessary to the Eagles; no Glenn, no legit Eagles

I split the thread and retitled this one. The title is a bit clumsy, I'll admit, but it was hard to come up with a concise one.

I kept it in "Tour Talk" because this is a touring band until they record something under the moniker "Eagles"... which I pray they never will.

Stuck on the Border

Default Re: For Those Saying Glenn Frey is Necessary to the Eagles; no Glenn, no legit Eagles

Rolling Stone has put their Oral History of Glenn up to mark the anniversary. I thought I would paste this quote from J.D. Souther:

Souther (on the future of the Eagles): They're done. They're not going to go back out without Glenn, absolutely not. I think it would be sacrilegious. I can't think of a way to do that that would be all right.

https://www.rollingstone.com/music/n...story-20160128

FP, I remember reading JD's thoughts on the fate of the band after Glenn's passing and I am so glad you found and posted the source. Thank you. As far as I'm concerned, JD got it right.

"Let's burn our long johns and head west" - Glenn Frey 1948-2016

Another quote from that article:
    Felder (on Frey declining to participate in the Eagles' ill-fated attempt at a reunion album in 1990): "I think Glenn felt he should have been in control of saying when and where and how it was going to happen. I think that really upset him a lot that we were in the studio recording without him. It was only done that way because we were being told Glenn was coming in a couple of days and we were led to believe that was OK and Glenn knew what was going on. We finally got some letter or phone call saying, 'If you don't stop, you know, he's going to take legal action,' or something like that. We were like, 'Wow, OK. Let's stop. We're not going to do this without Glenn.' We did. We stopped without him."
    While Felder's comment was obviously from a different circumstance, it still speaks to the fact that Glenn felt the Eagles weren't legitimate without him.... and I agree.