Page 140 of 166 FirstFirst ... 4090130136137138139140141142143144150 ... LastLast
Results 1,391 to 1,400 of 1651

Thread: Eagles.... 3.0

Default Re: Eagles.... 3.0

NKIT: Sorry for not mistaking the view on Deacon here i assumed that the view was that the new additions were both not accepted as they were replacing Glenn. I am not saying that Gill or Deacon are better singers but what i'm saying in terms of harmony they have more to work with now and on paper they should be better. I am saying within the last 7 years or so. Im aware Felder didn't sing much harmony outside of like minor parts in HC, LE, TIE, and SBR. But the band featured a lineup that was more that was more different than the same. Vocally it was different. The harmonies had a different quality. Im just saying that at this stage of the band's history it doesn't matter much. It won't effect the legacy of the band which is all that matters. They weren't working on any new albums and nothing from LROOE was in the newer concerts. The work from "Eagles" to HFO defined the band. They were in their swan song and all that matters is playing good music from their history. Gill did what i consider a decent job. He obviously isn't a perfect fit for replacing Glenn and Deacon should sing more. One last point on Deacon, if it's just Vince Gill that everyone holds a grudge against, would everyone be ok if Deacon replaced all his Dad's work?

Stuck on the Border

Quote Originally Posted by YoungEaglesFan View Post
    NKIT: Sorry for not mistaking the view on Deacon here i assumed that the view was that the new additions were both not accepted as they were replacing Glenn. I am not saying that Gill or Deacon are better singers but what i'm saying in terms of harmony they have more to work with now and on paper they should be better. I am saying within the last 7 years or so. Im aware Felder didn't sing much harmony outside of like minor parts in HC, LE, TIE, and SBR. But the band featured a lineup that was more that was more different than the same. Vocally it was different. The harmonies had a different quality. Im just saying that at this stage of the band's history it doesn't matter much. It won't effect the legacy of the band which is all that matters. They weren't working on any new albums and nothing from LROOE was in the newer concerts. The work from "Eagles" to HFO defined the band. They were in their swan song and all that matters is playing good music from their history. Gill did what i consider a decent job. He obviously isn't a perfect fit for replacing Glenn and Deacon should sing more. One last point on Deacon, if it's just Vince Gill that everyone holds a grudge against, would everyone be ok if Deacon replaced all his Dad's work?
    I suggest you go back & read this thread & you will find what the people who object to this thought.

This thread was supposed to be for people who objected to all this. But I see no point in repeating the same arguments which have already been done to death. If this is all going to start up again, then I will leave again as I did in May when it became too much for me. You had people say they were happy for you. Why can't you leave it at that & accept that others cannot accept this situation?

I will answer your last question, however: No. Nobody can replace Glenn Frey. They could have Mark Knopfler, Paul McCartney, Mick Jagger, Robert Plant & Peter Gabriel up there & they wouldn't be replacing Glenn Frey. Deacon Frey may be talented but he is not his father.

I will leave it there because I have had it up to here with this. I am sorry to be blunt but that is how I feel.

Quote Originally Posted by Freypower View Post
    I suggest you go back & read this thread & you will find what the people who object to this thought.

This thread was supposed to be for people who objected to all this. But I see no point in repeating the same arguments which have already been done to death. If this is all going to start up again, then I will leave again as I did in May when it became too much for me. You had people say they were happy for you. Why can't you leave it at that & accept that others are not happy?

I will answer your last question, however: No. Nobody can replace Glenn Frey. They could have Mark Knopfler, Paul McCartney, Mick Jagger, Robert Plant & Peter Gabriel up there & they wouldn't be replacing Glenn Frey. Deacon Frey may be talented but he is not his father.

I will leave it there because I have had it up to here with this. I am sorry to be blunt but that is how I feel.
    FP- I'm very new to this site and the forum itself. I'm not aware of the entire history i just tried giving my view. I hold nothing against you for being mad. I totally accept people coming on here and being unhappy about it. I just want to have a healthy understanding of both sides. I would definitely say that i was too young to see the Eagles live with Glenn. I did not get into them until his death. I don't mind the carry on attitude because what made the Eagles great was the great work done from the 70's till LROOE. From that point on it was just the Eagles playing the same stuff. I don't mind the band doing some moderate touring without Glenn. I don't think replaced Glenn in terms of impact but they came as close as you could musically. And right now all that matters for a touring band past their prime is sound. But i totally accept your view seeing as you're a big Glenn guy and flew to go see him. I never got that chance and it kills me that i will never see him but i feel obligated to defend the newest lineup to an extent because i only got to see them because of this

Stuck on the Border

Originally Posted by YoungEaglesFan

YEF - If you go back and read everything in this thread, you will see most people do not have anything against Vince Gill. Many people feel that Don Henley should have called it quits after Glenn passed. Most people would feel the same way if it was Don Henley who had passed. No Glenn or no Don H. equal no Eagles. Many people here including myself feel this has cheapened the legacy of the Eagles.

I realize this is a very long thread, but if you have the time to read it from the beginning, you will get the full feel of how most people feel. We have been discussing this since March when Don announced they would resume touring.

Stuck on the Border

FP- I'm very new to this site and the forum itself. I'm not aware of the entire history i just tried giving my view. I hold nothing against you for being mad. I totally accept people coming on here and being unhappy about it. I just want to have a healthy understanding of both sides. I would definitely say that i was too young to see the Eagles live with Glenn. I did not get into them until his death. I don't mind the carry on attitude because what made the Eagles great was the great work done from the 70's till LROOE. From that point on it was just the Eagles playing the same stuff. I don't mind the band doing some moderate touring without Glenn. I don't think replaced Glenn in terms of impact but they came as close as you could musically. And right now all that matters for a touring band past their prime is sound. But i totally accept your view seeing as you're a big Glenn guy and flew to go see him. I never got that chance and it kills me that i will never see him but i feel obligated to defend the newest lineup to an extent because i only got to see them because of this
    I was a big Glenn girl.

Defend it all you like. I repeat, Frey was irreplaceable. Again, I state that I have no wish to continue with this from my viewpoint. I have said enough. If you think it's OK, as others have said, go with it.

However, the 'I didn't get into them until Glenn's death' line is a new one. The implications of that are very sad indeed. There really is no answer to that.

Stuck on the Border

YEF - I realize you are new here. However, I would guess most people here feel they have said everything there is to say regarding this. Many thoughtful, intelligent posts have been written by people in this thread. It is an interesting read. Many people here, including myself, have been Eagles fans since TIE came out in 1972. Numerous people such as Soda, FP, Dreamer and other have been to hundreds of concerts and met Glenn personally. I suggest you go and read their posts under Glenn's solo concerts and them meeting him during him participating in Golf Pro-Am events. They are really enjoyable and show what a wonderful person Glenn was.

Quote Originally Posted by Freypower View Post
    I was a big Glenn girl.

Defend it all you like. I repeat, Frey was irreplaceable. Again, I state that I have no wish to continue with this from my viewpoint. I have said enough. If you think it's OK, as others have said, go with it.

However, the 'I didn't get into them until Glenn's death' line is a new one. The implications of that are very sad indeed. There really is no answer to that.
    FreyPower- I'm aware that you wish to avoid debating this point further so I'll try to avoid that. I agree Glenn's irreplaceable. I'm just saying that the Eagles did a good job at finding replacements. And that there is value still in seeing them. But to defend my comment about not liking them until Glenn died, I'd like to say a couple things. Before Glenn I knew TIE, HC,OOTN,TITTL, and PEF. That was it. I didn't know they had different lead singers. I knew little. When Glenn died I read into him and then the band and now I'm as a dedicated fan as any. I really do view this as a gap between people who have seen the Eagles before with Glenn vs people who have not. I don't think there's necessarily a right answer

Quote Originally Posted by New Kid In Town View Post
    Originally Posted by YoungEaglesFan

YEF - If you go back and read everything in this thread, you will see most people do not have anything against Vince Gill. Many people feel that Don Henley should have called it quits after Glenn passed. Most people would feel the same way if it was Don Henley who had passed. No Glenn or no Don H. equal no Eagles. Many people here including myself feel this has cheapened the legacy of the Eagles.

I realize this is a very long thread, but if you have the time to read it from the beginning, you will get the full feel of how most people feel. We have been discussing this since March when Don announced they would resume touring.
    I will try to read the entire thread. I do feel both sides have good points but for people who haven't seen the Eagles a lot or Glenn a lot it's a lot to say seeing them now is wrong. I don't feel like putting replacements cheapens the legacy. Touring at this point is purely a money grabbing maneuver. That doesn't mean they are bad people to do it they're not. It's just anything that has been said about the Eagles or anything they could do to change their standing has been done. The only thing left was to tour to as many people as possible and make as much money. Replacing Glenn in my mind doesn't change that. It also lets people know "hey this is the last chance guys". I consider the Eagles legacy to be determined by the music and the impact it had on people. Glenn was a massive part of that and his and the bands legacy is secured to me no matter what

Stuck on the Border

I will try to read the entire thread. I do feel both sides have good points but for people who haven't seen the Eagles a lot or Glenn a lot it's a lot to say seeing them now is wrong. I don't feel like putting replacements cheapens the legacy. Touring at this point is purely a money grabbing maneuver. That doesn't mean they are bad people to do it they're not. It's just anything that has been said about the Eagles or anything they could do to change their standing has been done. The only thing left was to tour to as many people as possible and make as much money. Replacing Glenn in my mind doesn't change that. It also lets people know "hey this is the last chance guys". I consider the Eagles legacy to be determined by the music and the impact it had on people. Glenn was a massive part of that and his and the bands legacy is secured to me no matter what
    Like they didn't have enough money in the first place.

I am sure you mean well but you don't seem to understand that they are not securing their legacy by conducting this exercise. They are tarnishing it. You basically admit it yourself by emphasising the monetary aspect.

People DID have the 'last chance' to see them in 2015. What they are seeing now is an imitation, not the real thing.

Stuck on the Border

To me it seems that you are very much on one "side". There's nothing wrong with being on a "side" (I am too, I think), but you said that you "just want to have a healthy understanding of both sides". From where I'm standing, so far you've just been trying to prove people who don't like the band continuing wrong. Like I said, I'm genuinely happy for you, so I have no need to prove you wrong although I couldn't care less about the band as it is now.
    Last edited by chaim; 09-14-2017 at 10:54 AM.