Thread: New Episodes of an Old Webseries (Classic Rock!)

Default New Episodes of an Old Webseries (Classic Rock!)

Hello all! After a lonnnnnnnnng time away, I am back to promote my (still-running) YouTube show, "Play That Rock'n'Roll", which takes a look back at albums and artists from the classic rock era.

Basically there are three sorts of episodes. First are full artist retrospectives. In those videos, I review and discuss and artist's full career and catalog, and give some recommendations. Those videos require a great deal of research and editing, but the final product is what I am most proud of. Great opportunities to learn about, and reflect upon the careers of acts like Grace Slick, The Kings, The Power Station, The Highwaymen, and the Traveling Wilburys.

Secondly, I occasionally do Top Ten "best-of" countdowns. Everybody likes Top Ten Lists, so this is a fun way for me to celebrate my favorite songs by some of the biggest names in classic rock, like Fleetwood Mac, Eric Clapton, Huey Lewis, Steve Miller Band,
    The Rolling Stones, Steve Winwood, and David Bowie. Check them out and tell me YOUR Top Ten favorites!

And third, I've begun reviewing albums, particularly BAD albums. I like to look at failed (or novelty) records by big name artists and try to discover what went wrong. For instance, I've discussed Dirty Work by the Rolling Stones, Heartbeat by Miami Vice actor Don Johnson, Eye of the Zombie by John Fogerty, Kilroy Was Here by Styx, Girls With Guns by Tommy Shaw, and a couple of Christmas records by Jimmy Buffett and REO Speedwagon.

These shows are my way of expressing my love of classic rock. The stories, the music, the myths and legends... so much great stuff to talk about! So if any of this sounds interesting to you, please give my show a chance and tell me what you think! Constructive criticism is always welcome!

Finally, I'm looking for a little help for the future. I've decided my next two videos will be Eagles related. Since the Eagles can be a little harsh with copyright protection, I'll have to tread carefully, but I want to review two Eagles-related albums that, for all intents and purposes, are BAD. Specifically, Don Felder's "Airbourne" and Joe Walsh's "Got Any Gum?" Now for starters, I must say that taste is subjective and I enjoy a few songs on each of those albums, but there were unquestionable failures and I don't think either really holds up as some "lost classic" or anything. So what I'm looking for is information. I'd like to find out why Felder and Walsh made those albums when they did and why. What were the circumstances surrounding those albums, who did they work with, etc...

I'll post more in the coming weeks once I begin these projects, but if anyone has some insight to either of those records, I would very much appreciate to hear it. I figured I'd ask here first because I know this board is the BEST source of Eagles info available!
    "City streets don't have much pity,
    When you're down, that's where you'll stay..."
    -Joe Walsh

Default Re: New Episodes of an Old Webseries (Classic Rock!)

Hey! Welcome back!

I love that you're going to do a few Eagles-related ones again - brave man! Not all the members will peek in here, though, so for the purposes of discussion of the two albums, you'll want to go to the member forums.

For discussion about Airborne, revive this old thread in the Felder forum:
    https://www.eaglesonlinecentral.com/...ead.php?t=3370

For discussion about Got Any Gum, you'll need to start a thread in the Joe Walsh forum. No one has ever started a thread about that album. Perhaps Joe fans would like to pretend it doesn't exist? Aw, but it does have some gems among the rubble!

Always in our hearts, Never forgotten

Stuck on the Border

Wow Rambo - That is really cool. I look forward to seeing all the stuff you have highlighted when I have a chance - a little at a time.
    I do not have the Airborne album/cd so I can't comment on it. If I remember right, Don said in his book he was contractually obligated to do the album.

That's right, NKIT. I always assumed he wanted to do a solo album as well, though.

Always in our hearts, Never forgotten

Well thanks very much! I think those two records are as close to the Eagles as I can get without riling up the copyright enforcers. And I think I am going to work on Airbourne first. I'm want to read through Felder's book again to see if he makes any comment on it. I think I remember him saying he would have done it differently.
    "City streets don't have much pity,
    When you're down, that's where you'll stay..."
    -Joe Walsh