Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 2345678 LastLast

Thread: Tribute Bands

Default Re: Tribute Bands

Quote Originally Posted by GlennLover View Post
    I went to the concert with the mindset that I was going to hear Eagles' music, not to see the Eagles & I was really impressed by how much they actually sounded like the guys. I'm sure you will enjoy the show Willie & Cathy!
    Thanks GL, I'm sure I will too. And we've forgotten to mention that it's a benefit concert for breast cancer, so that $10 will be going to a good cause!
    ~ Cathy ~

And I dream I'm on vacation 'Cause I like the way that sounds,
    It's a perfect occupation for me.

Moderator Ive always been a dreamer's Avatar
    Cruising down the center of a two-way street in VA

Quote Originally Posted by GlennLover View Post
    I went to the concert with the mindset that I was going to hear Eagles' music, not to see the Eagles & I was really impressed by how much they actually sounded like the guys. I'm sure you will enjoy the show Willie & Cathy!
    Ann, I did exactly the same thing when I saw 'Hotel California' a few years ago. For the price I paid, it was totally worth it. I enjoyed them a lot. It's true that they weren't Glenn, Don, Timothy, and Joe, but then, I wasn't expecting them to be.

"People don't run out of dreams: People just run out of time ..."
    Glenn Frey 11/06/1948 - 01/18/2016

Today is the day that TBF and her hubby are meeting up with us to see the Eagles tribute band Heartache Tonight.

Willie, are you dry heaving?
    ~ Cathy ~

Stuck on the Border TimothyBFan's Avatar

Ooooooh GROSS!!!

Will be heading out in about an hour and a half. To be honest I really am kinda excited. New experience and live EAGLES music!!!

Text you when we are on the road to pick a meeting spot. See ya in Decatur!
    He sings it high, he plays it low

We saw the Chicago based Eagles tribute band Heartache Tonight on Saturday. They played at the Chevrolet Hall of Fame Car Museum in Decatur, IL. While they are called a tribute band, I would classify them more as a cover band. Being a Beatles fan, I have seen 3 or 4 of their tribute bands, plus I have seen a tribute to Elton John. In all of these cases the performers look like, dress like, sound like and act like the people they are tributing. I knew this was not going to happen Saturday because I had gone to the band’s site and knew what they were about.

It was really hot Saturday and the emcee for the band apologized for the band wearing shorts. He said that they enjoyed playing Eagles music because they could play for a long time and play hit after hit. He talked after almost every song, joking or simply introducing the next song. As some of you have mentioned about the cover bands that you’ve seen, there wasn’t someone who did all Don’s stuff and someone else who did Glenn’s. Basically the ‘front’ guitarist and the drummer shared the lead vocal responsibilities, with the exception of the keyboard player, who did three Joe songs.They did not do a single Timothy song.

All that being said, I enjoyed this band and I’m glad I went.They played for 3 ½ hours! The song they did that sounded most like the Eagles was 7 Bridges Road. The song I thought the drummer did a great interpretation of was Heart of the Matter. So no, they did not ‘sound just like’ the Eagles, but they did a good job playing Eagles songs.

Here’s the link to their site: http://heartachetonight.com/

Hubby kept track of the set list for me.

Heartache Tonight
    How Long
    Peace Easy Feeling
    Already Gone
    The Long Run
    New Kid In Town
    Get Over It
    Walk Away
    Best Of My Love
    Life In The Fast Lane
    James Dean
    Good Day In Hell
    Take It Easy

Intermission

Hotel California
    Lyin’ Eyes
    7 Bridges Road
    All She Wants To Do Is Dance
    Heart of the Matter
    One Of These Nights
    Victim Of Love
    Tequila Sunrise
    Funk 49
    Ol’ 55
    Witchy Woman
    Dirty Laundry
    Take It To The Limit
    Rocky Mountain Way

Encore – Desperado

I felt bad for them because the crowd was so small, less than 100. But even after Desperado people were clapping to hear more, so they did Love The One You’re With by CSN and an Eric Clapton blues song that I don’t remember the name of.

If you want to see pictures I’ve made an album on my profile page.
    ~ Cathy ~

Thanks for the review PM! Glad you and hubby had a good time.

Always in our hearts, Never forgotten

Moderator Ive always been a dreamer's Avatar
    Cruising down the center of a two-way street in VA

Thanks for that review, PM. Really glad you all enjoyed the show. What a great set list! The only thing I was disappointed in was that they didn't do I Can't Tell You Why and Life's Been Good. But where else are ya gonna hear James Dean, Good Day in Hell, Ol' 55, and Victim of Love played these days! I'm amazed at how long they played and how small the crowd was. When I saw the Hotel California tribute band a few years ago, they played about 2 1/2 hours if I remember correctly. But, still, I think I went there thinking they would play 45 minutes or an hour, so I was very pleasantly surprised. Also, I think there must have been around 500 people or so in the audience that night - but, I remember it being a perfectly gorgeous night so I'm sure that helped.

And OBTW, thank hubby for keeping track of that set list for us Borderers!

"People don't run out of dreams: People just run out of time ..."
    Glenn Frey 11/06/1948 - 01/18/2016

Stuck on the Border TimothyBFan's Avatar

So sorry I missed it all. I will have to keep an eye out because they seem to stay in Illinois and see if we can catch another show.

Thanks Cathy for the great review!
    He sings it high, he plays it low

Down some endless road just south of nowhere (Missouri)

Sounds like you had a great time, Cathy. I think the key is knowing beforehand that they weren't going to look like the guys.

Sorry you didn't make it though, Willie.
    https://i.imgur.com/CuSdAQM.jpg
    "They will never forget you 'till somebody new comes along"
    1948-2016 Gone but not forgotten

Stuck on the Border

Quote Originally Posted by Ive always been a dreamer View Post
    Thanks for that review, PM. Really glad you all enjoyed the show. What a great set list! The only thing I was disappointed in was that they didn't do I Can't Tell You Why and Life's Been Good. But where else are ya gonna hear James Dean, Good Day in Hell, Ol' 55, and Victim of Love played these days! I'm amazed at how long they played and how small the crowd was. When I saw the Hotel California tribute band a few years ago, they played about 2 1/2 hours if I remember correctly. But, still, I think I went there thinking they would play 45 minutes or an hour, so I was very pleasantly surprised. Also, I think there must have been around 500 people or so in the audience that night - but, I remember it being a perfectly gorgeous night so I'm sure that helped.

And OBTW, thank hubby for keeping track of that set list for us Borderers!
    And New Kid In Town and Get Over It, both of which would be in the real band's setlist if I had my way. I know you're referring to songs which haven't been played for a LONG time (although James Dean was played in 2003, rather more recently than GOI)....